Overfilling LP Steel Tanks -- How bad is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fact: Tanks do explode—but not often.

The usual suspects are aluminum tanks made by Luxfer, Walter Kidde, Norris Industries and Reynolds Aluminum before 1988 from an alloy called "6351." Of these manufacturers, only Luxfer continues to make scuba tanks, and has used a different alloy since then.

According to Department of Transportation records, 12 of these tanks in the United States, 17 worldwide, have exploded since 1986, almost all of them while being filled. For some proportion, consider that approximately 25.4 million tanks were made from the 6351 alloy.

Most of the explosions were due to what is called "sustained load cracking," apparently caused when lead in the 6351 alloy migrates, weakening the metal structure. Cracks begin to appear near the crown of the tank and spread slowly, usually over many years, up through the threads. As "sustained load" indicates, storing tanks under full pressure aggravates the problem.

Actually, small cracks are not that uncommon. Most cracks do not cause explosions and those that do should have been obvious to visual inspection for several years. The explosions that have occurred signal not only a problem with the aluminum alloy, but a more serious problem with the quality of many visual inspections.

In 1988, Luxfer switched to a "6061" alloy, which does not contain lead. (Catalina began making tanks in 1986 and has used 6061 from the beginning.) According to Bill High, founder of Professional Scuba Inspectors, Inc., the industry's only recognized training organization for tank inspectors, there have been almost no cracking problems in post-1988 tanks, nor in steel tanks.

High has had a few reports of "stress corrosion cracking" in Catalina 6061 tanks, "but this is very unusual," he says. None have exploded.

Pre-1988 aluminum tanks can be identified by their neck markings
-------------------------------------------------------------
BTW- we have a steel tank at the shop the burst during a fill. It's not so much as an overfill/expansion issue as much as a need for VIP's to ensure there are no cracks or pits that can fatigue the metal. Overfilling only shortens the lifespan of the steel tank, but you will most likely die of old age before that will occur if you just bought your tank new.

As far as shops consistantly overfilling as standard procedure, incompetance of others is what makes us look so good when all we do is follow the safety guidelines so we reduce risk.

Fact: Tanks do explode—but not often.

how many steel tanks have exploded from overfilling?

assuming the answer is "ah ... well ... not one that i can think of," then see below:

incompetance of others is what makes us look so good when all we do is follow the safety guidelines so we reduce risk.

how do you reduce zero risk?

btw, i think it's your humility, not your competence, that is your best ally

:)

142 steel tanks have exploded worldwide in the last eighteen years, 23 of them during filling. 17 deaths occured involving the 23 fills and 9 injuries sustained. (one occured on a dock which I don't understand quite what that means.)

So the statistical probabitliy is rather low when compared to the total number of active steel scuba cylinders worldwide. You probably have the better possibility of being hit by lightenting twice in the same day. I just don't wish to be fatality 24 when filling someone's tanks who not only disreguards their own safety but the safety of others. When you are able to "name' a fatality, it ceases to be a number and becomes a real person.

142 steel tanks have exploded worldwide in the last eighteen years

yes, indeed, assuming that's a correct count

but where is the evidence that a single one of them let go due to overfilling?

in fact, the overwhelming weight of the evidence shows that 20 years or more of overfills have absolutely no effect on a steel cylinder

even assuming all 142 tanks let go due to overfilling, as you yourself point out, that's an infinitesimal risk considering how many steel tanks have been in use over the last 20 years

can we agree that the risk is probably not even quantifiable?

on the other hand, if you feel that the risk is not worth taking, then by all means, don't.

but i think not doing it should not translate into feeling superior to those who do it based on the same data

oops, the quotation is from the annual report issued by the "High Pressure Gas Safety Agency", summer 2008

The rust from corrosion in a poorly maintained tank probably would be the biggest problem with steel tanks and not overfilling. But, why take the risk with overfilling when you can just get a hp.

But, why take the risk with overfilling when you can just get a hp.

again, you are reasoning a priori

you are assuming there is a risk significant enough to be avoided. certainly you are welcome to do that

also, you must see how others may look at the same data and disagree

142 tanks, not scuba tanks. When you consider all the welding, medical O2, CO2, propane tanks etc in service, 142 is a really low number - and none of them are inspected annually like scuba tanks.

I could list everything that scares me more than the possibility of a steel LP cylinder exploding while being filled to 3600+ psi, but...that would be almost everything, so I won't do that. :wink:

Summed up: Based off of years of actual constant overfilling evidence, if you keep your steel cylinders in good condition and free from corrosion, the chances of them exploding from overfilling (within reasonable limits) is almost non-existent.

I've run my Corvette up to 150+mph on deserted hiways. I don't do it often and I know that it is risky. But to take the attitude that it is safe would be foolish. Risk is always there, it's just a question of how much. That is true in everything we do, and how much of it we spread to innocent by-standers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom