Overwhelmed Beginner looking for a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have much experience with different models, but I have a Seaquest balance and would recommend it. It's very comfortable and streamlined, and fits me really well. (i'm a little guy and a small has room to spare for me)

The biggest thing about a BC is that it has to fit you properly. One of its major jobs is to keep the tank stable on your back, and if the fit is sloppy, it won't do that very well. As I learned the hard way, it's quite difficult to try a BC on in the shop and figure out if it really fits. Without your exposure protection and the weight of a tank, it's hard to know.

I think this issue is particularly difficult for women, because we are so very different in sizes and shapes. I am very small, and my original BC (which was a women's small) was too big, which was a problem.

I would recommend two things about whatever you get: One, that it have two cambands rather than just one. Having the tank come loose is something that I've seen happen to a number of people (and have had it happen to me, too) and it's very irritating. Two cambands makes that much more unlikely.

The other is that, if you don't buy a BP/W, you make sure the BC you do buy has some kind of trim weight pockets, as the Libra and Balance do. Having a convenient place to move some weight up onto your back makes it much easier to achieve and maintain a horizontal position. You CAN move weight up without trim pockets, but it involves securing weights to the cambands or buying weight pockets, and the trim pockets are easier.

What do I dive? Started with a SeaQuest Libra, and after six months, went to a BP/W -- No regrets.

One of the dive instructors i know uses that Oceanic Hera, she absolutely loves it. She used to dive the Isla all the time and once the Hera came out she test dove one from oceanic and then bought herself one. It has a hybrid bladder so there is some back inflation style as well as a jacket style. The shoulder straps are adjustable so you can find a comfortable position for you and also an adjustable sternum strap.

So which ones are the best ones? Well made and will last me awhile?
There is no 'best one' per say. Tell ya what, your in Orlando, come out and dive with the folks in the Florida forum. There seems to always be someone diving somewhere. I will be happy to let you try my rig on, hell, even dive with it if you want. I think there are others who are the same way. Thats the easiest way to learn about the different BC's and comfort.
And what's the big difference between jacket inflated and back inflated? I'm pretty sure I've only used the jacket ones. Is one better than the other?
So please help me. I want to get diving!!

I'd wager you've only used jacket style BC's. Personal preference for comfort and fit are your biggest differences. I've used both and have settled on the backplate/wing style. For me its more comfortable. With a small steel tank I don't even need a weight belt and the whole rig is very simple. I grew up freediving and snorkeling, so lots of X-mas tree ornaments on my gear bothers me. It's also very lightweight and distributes the weight of the tank comfortably on my back and hips. Some might laugh, but I can and have trotted to the beach and just 'dove in' while others have trodged along with the back heavy vests. :)

TSandM gives good advice. The only other suggestion I would make is to ask where you want to go with your diving? If you have any desire to move into the cavern/cave world then I think it is good to start using a tec rig now. This will mean a BP/W set up or a tec-style back inflate (Zeagle and Dive Rite are both Florida made so I recommend them). If you see yourself staying in open water for the foreseeable future, then any style that fits you the best will be fine.

FWIW I dive a Genesis Recon currently but I have used both a Zeagle Ranger and Dive-Rite trans Pac in the past. All have been fine for me.

The Water World store on I-drive was having a 20% off promotion, check that out to see if that's still going on, it will save you $100 on a $500 bc. They are a Zeagle dealer but not Dive Rite.

As far as dive buddies, I work at Florida Hospital and we have a pretty active group who dive fairly often. We have a trip planned next month to WPB. A couple of us are going to Blue Grotto next weekend. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll get you my number. You're welcome to join us.

Lots of good advice here. However, trying out some of the different types in the field is really the best way to go. For instance, a jacket style with nice soft padding will usually feel better in a store while wearing a t-shirt than a bp/w. (actually I really dont like my bp/w when hiking to a dive site or trying to walk over to the edge of a boat... could be due to wearing double steel tanks and slinging an aluminum 80. In the water is a completely different matter).

Remember, the majority of your time spent wearing the BC will actually be underwater and no show room can simulate a dive for you.

If at all possible, try out the different styles on some dives before you buy.

A lot of good advice - as everyone has said there really probably isn't just one "right" BC.

I started with a Mares Morphos Pro which was a back inflate model. When I started diving, I thought I wanted comfortable (i.e. more padding), larger pockets, and other bells and whistles. I loved the back inflation and all that it had to offer - no squeeze like a jacket style, easy to relax and swim on the surface, etc.

After two years of diving the BC I have to say that I still really liked it but I had learned more about my diving and the impact that the BC was likely having on me. Most specifically, I have been streamlining the whole time trying to improve my air consumption.

Comfort padding... while nice most often just translates to additional positive buoyancy which means more weight to be able to sink. In fact, I think my BC was about 4lbs positive (meaning I was compensating with around 4lbs of extra weight). More weight = more work to get through the water = lower air consumption.

Pockets... while the external pockets were really nice, it added to the volume and drag of my BC underwater. More drag = lower air consumption.

I have recently switched to a DSS BP/W setup and have to say that I am loving it. The first time I dove it in the pool I almost felt like I was diving naked - there was such a change in the streamlining of the suit. The first time I will use it in OW is in about three weeks in Cozumel. Will see how all of the changes affects bottom time and my air consumption.

As everyone has said, see if you can test drive different models to see how they feel.

Wow. Thank you everyone for all your input. I have been super busy and unable to respond. This really is overwhelming! But you have given me great advice. I'm currently going to school in Fredericksburg, VA but when I come home to Orlando (in 2 weeks!), I'll shop around for a BCD at different scuba stores.
I didn't know padding just added more buoyancy but it makes sense. I like the idea of back inflating BCs but I've only ever used the jackets. Is it hard to get used to them?
I don't plan on doing technical diving (not even quite sure what that is). I am hoping on getting into underwater photography eventually, once I get more experience. That's about as far as my ambitions go in diving, for now at least. :wink:
I guess I'll have to rent, but again I have no one to dive with. (My dive buddy is going to have a baby)

Wow. Thank you everyone for all your input. I have been super busy and unable to respond. This really is overwhelming! But you have given me great advice. I'm currently going to school in Fredericksburg, VA but when I come home to Orlando (in 2 weeks!), I'll shop around for a BCD at different scuba stores.
I didn't know padding just added more buoyancy but it makes sense. I like the idea of back inflating BCs but I've only ever used the jackets. Is it hard to get used to them?
I don't plan on doing technical diving (not even quite sure what that is). I am hoping on getting into underwater photography eventually, once I get more experience. That's about as far as my ambitions go in diving, for now at least. :wink:
I guess I'll have to rent, but again I have no one to dive with. (My dive buddy is going to have a baby)

Going from jacket to a back inflation is not that big a deal. Certainly it wouldn't hurt to play with it in a pool or in a protected dive site to adapt. The biggest change will be playing with the amount of weight to trim yourself. Rule of thumb is 60/40 when using an aluminum tank (60% of your weight on your belt and 40% in the trim pockets) and the adjust from there. The other thing I would suggest is getting used to the thing at surface...a common mistake I see when people first get one is filling the bladders to capacity and then struggling because it will tend to want to push towards a face down posture. It's pretty much like any other new piece of gear...play with it a bit in a "safe zone" before putting it through it's paces in normal diving.

Good luck and congrats to you and your dive buddy!

Can you get weight integrated back inflating bcs?
I hate weight belts. Such nuisances. I try to avoid them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom