OW Cert question, PADI related

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinbad the Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is it normal for Certification Agencies, in this case PADI, to have instructors certify divers without an affiliation to an LDS. A friend is being offered a discounted class as part of a group of people from a club. It is more or less freelancing from what I see. Seems logical, I've just never heard of an instructor that worked without a shop (my exposure is fairly limited so it's very possible it's just not something I've ever heard of).

TIA

My instructor works for a shop, but taught me freelance. I think it matters how the students came to him, ie. if they walk into the shop or if they are reffered by friends directly to him.

There are a lot of instructors that work independently. In the case of my instructor(s), we have an entire scuba club whose primary focus is dive instruction, with no shop affiliation. This used to be a lot more usual, and I believe is still the basis of the BSAC system in England.
On the other hand, SSI only does shop-based instruction...

the financial aspects of it are confounding me in this case as well. The instructor is quoting a one price including gear and quarry passe. The price is great and I did a quick add of the numbers as I know them and the money is mostly gone per student after gear rental, tank rental, and quarry passes. Pool rental, books, anything for the instructor..... I figure a shop can do it because they have no specific cost for gear and air, they use out of the same stock they have for normal rental and unless they run out some weekend and have to turn a renter away it's not a real cost.

More of a statement, not a question. Something I've let my friend know to be watchful of. It's someone the group knows so I don't see this as a scam, most likely just a person doing a favor for friends, unfortunately I have become jaded and always looking for people with alterier motives.

The best classes are usually found away from shops. I encourage the practice.

the financial aspects of it are confounding me in this case as well. The instructor is quoting a one price including gear and quarry passe. The price is great and I did a quick add of the numbers as I know them and the money is mostly gone per student after gear rental, tank rental, and quarry passes. Pool rental, books, anything for the instructor..... I figure a shop can do it because they have no specific cost for gear and air, they use out of the same stock they have for normal rental and unless they run out some weekend and have to turn a renter away it's not a real cost.

More of a statement, not a question. Something I've let my friend know to be watchful of. It's someone the group knows so I don't see this as a scam, most likely just a person doing a favor for friends, unfortunately I have become jaded and always looking for people with alterier motives.

If you feel that the class is well done and believe that the instructor made no m oney on it I hope you offer him a fat tip..

PADI does not require its instructors to be affiliated with a shop. Some agencies, like SSI, require the affiliation.

I am an independent instructor. My prices may be a bit higher, but competitive. I do this because I require more from my students than most dive shops do and I have lower student to instructor ratios. It would be biased to say I deliver more value to the learning process as an independent instructor (lower class ratios, more student/instructor time, more skill development, higher standards / less 'sales pitch'), however it would also probably be accurate. :D

Do you due diligence. Compare the agenda/itinerary, total costs, time, and value before making any assessments. Remember, the agencies are nothing more than a tool the instructor employs. Shops are in business to sell equipment. Instructors are there to teach. Find the best instructor and you will get the best class. Everything else in ancillary.

jcf

Thanks everyone for the info, sounds like the guy is on the up and up, just trying to help a friend make sure she doesn't get taken.

Not everyone does everything for just the money.

True, but in the end, people are rarely going to pay out of pocket to provide a service to others so my concern for my friend is that the price includes safe and reliable equipment and everything that is promissed. I would hate to see her get half way through and be told she has to come up with a chunk of cash she's not expecting.

scubajcf:
PADI does not require its instructors to be affiliated with a shop. Some agencies, like SSI, require the affiliation.

True, but a tad misleading. Very few agencies require shop affiliation, most allow independents and some (not PADI) even encourage them by giving them the same deals on products they give to shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom