OW certification with Boy Scouts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CTDiver01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did one of my OW internships this past weekend with 7 scouts and 2 leaders. The scouts age ranged from 12 to 15. What a much different experience than working with adults!!! They never stop moving!!! We were at Dutch Springs in PA and while the instructor was doing the mask clearing skills I was hovering about 10' above to stop any paniced ascenders and the site below was something else. It was constant movement, even one student was on his head spinning like a break-dancer. The other DM I was with said he could best describe what we saw as a box of new born kittens.

All in all a great weekend of camping and diving and the scouts did a great job and a great learing experience for me as a DMC.

I love the description of "a box of new born kittens." When I was doing my DM internship, we had a few Discover Scuba Diving sessions with a few dozen Sea Cadets. Pretty much the same thing you describe but in a pool.

Oh my! What have I gotten myself in for? Not only am I one of those scout leaders you described, but I'm the DMC too. Our OW dives are May 7 & 8th. Wish me good luck.

Back
Top Bottom