OW Dive in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bean2005

New
Reaction score
Hi! My fiance and I are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon in about a month. We just completed our confined water dives and we are searching for a reputable dive center to complete our open water dives.

We will be in Kauai for 4 days and Maui for 8 days. According to padi.com there are 11 dive centers in Kauai and 28 in Maui. How do I know which one to select? What questions should I ask? Has anyone had any experiences with these dive centers? Thanks!!! - Bean

Bean2005:
Hi! My fiance and I are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon in about a month. We just completed our confined water dives and we are searching for a reputable dive center to complete our open water dives.

We will be in Kauai for 4 days and Maui for 8 days. According to padi.com there are 11 dive centers in Kauai and 28 in Maui. How do I know which one to select? What questions should I ask? Has anyone had any experiences with these dive centers? Thanks!!! - Bean

Welcome to Scubaboard & Congrats on the upcoming wedding! My fiance and I are getting married in 2.5 months and will also be honeymooning (and diving) in Kauai & Maui. You may want to ask in this forum: http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=291

Enjoy and let me know what dives and operations you liked!

Bean2005:

A few questions you might want to ask:

Class size? Boat or Shore? Length of dives? Any post certification discounts? New instructor or established instructor? I'm sure there are other questions to ask.

Have fun.

I strongly recommend checking out Maui Dreams Dive Co. on Maui. I've also heard that Bubbles Below on Kauai is good, but your four days would barely give you enough time to get over the no-fly time after your last dive...

HTH,

Go to undercurrent.org and get all the unadulterated reviews of dive operations. Ed Robinson's on Maui generally gets good reviews.

I don't know about Kauai as I've never been there, but I just returned from 4 days on Maui.

If you will be staying in the southwest part of Maui (Kihei or Wailea) I highly recommend B&B Scuba, as have many others on this board. Brad and Blesi are very nice individuals, and lead nice dives. While their boat is small I didn't feel all that crowded, as everybody on my group was cooperative about sharing space and staying out of each others' way.

However, B&B expect you to be at Kihei boat ramp around 5:45 AM, and if you're staying in the northwest part of Maui (Lahaina and especially Kaanapali) you will be getting up VERY early in the morning in order to get there on time. Leaving my Lahaina hotel at 5AM I got there around 5:40 AM; I would imagine the Kaanapali folks have to leave a bit earlier. For this reason I don't necessarily prefer B&B over Lahaina-based dive ops for those staying in northwest Maui. B&B's advantage (as is that of any other Kihei-based operator) is that they are physically closer to Molokini, if that's where you prefer to go. Kihei to Molokini on B&B's boat was something like 15-20 minutes.

I also used Lahaina Divers and while yes you could classify them as a "cattle boat" (there were 20 divers on my group, plus 4 dive leaders) the boat is sufficiently large enough that this wasn't a problem. Plus they were only a few minutes' walk from my hotel and I didn't need to be there until 6:30 AM. For those of us who are not "morning people" that extra sleep is well worth it. The disadvantage for Molokini-bound divers is that it takes nearly an hour for them to get there. I understand that for Lanai-bound divers it's better to use Lahaina Divers (or another Lahaina-based op) over a Kihei-based one as they are closer to that island.

Both were equally adept at servicing new and inexperienced divers like myself. When I was there, both boats had a couple of students on board.

In addition to location, another thing you may want to ask about is location of the dives on the days you wish to dive. If you are doing your "checkout" dives you might not have any say as to location (though from what I experienced, the inside of Molokini should be easy enough for student divers) but if you decide to continue diving in Hawaii after you get your paper c-card, you may find that your favorite dive op may not go to a place you were hoping to on a certain day. For example, Lahaina Divers only goes to Molokini on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings, and to Lanai only on the remaining mornings. They also have another charter to the back wall of Molokini (considered an advanced dive) on Wednesday and Friday mornings. Afternoons are spent at one of two Turtle reef locations. They also do both dives at one spot. OTOH B&B Scuba does its first dive at Molokini, and a second dive off the southwest shore (we dove off "Red Hill").

Have a great time on your dives.

pkrupela:
Go to undercurrent.org and get all the unadulterated reviews of dive operations. Ed Robinson's on Maui generally gets good reviews.
Sounds like a great idea... too bad the site is a pay-per-use / subscription based.

We did our certification with Lahaina Divers and I'd definitely recommend them. Our instructor stayed with us and was solely devoted to working with us, which gave us a lot of 1 on 1 attention. Very convenient if you're staying in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area. If you're staying in Kehei or Wailea, check into Mike Severns.

DiveMe:
We did our certification with Lahaina Divers and I'd definitely recommend them. Our instructor stayed with us and was solely devoted to working with us, which gave us a lot of 1 on 1 attention. Very convenient if you're staying in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area. If you're staying in Kehei or Wailea, check into Mike Severns.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions! This is very helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom