OWD license without a doctor's certificate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol ! More seriously I think GDPR would apply only to business made in the EU, EU citizens doing their business in the US wouldn’t require the US business to apply EU laws ?

That is precisely the point. It's a pushback to US organizations collecting data "to be shared with other entities as we see fit", with no regard to existing EU personal data protection laws. Starting with post-9/11 data collection on airline passengers. You didn't want to play nice? -- Here's a gubmint regulation for you, enjoy.

PS. It's probably not enforceable but a) nobody wants to pay legal fees to get a court ruling and b) a ruling either way would be bad.

Nitpick: she said she checked PADI handbook.
Actually, there are several strange things in that OP. For example, I have no idea what a PADI Handbook is. Does she maybe mean the OW training manual? Secondly, if he had already done the confined water work, then the medical form would have been required for that; it is for ANY in-water activity, not just OW checkout dives. Thirdly, she makes no mention of WHY she had a "doctor's certificate"; did she check Yes on the questionnaire? Did he check No? She does not say where she did her training, nor where his is. If Chiba, presumably Japan, which she gives as a location, then Japanese rules apply. I do not know what those are.

That's perfectly fine and I've given the page 2 with doctor's signature to my instructors and liability waivers to every op I dived with. But unless you're a qualified physician acting in professional capacity, you have no right to ask for my medical history. Whether I care about privately disclosing it to anyone and everyone in the shop, on a boat, or on the Interwebs, is irrelevant.

Right, I'm not an instructor, but from what I gather it's either all "no" checkmarks OR the doctor's note to satisfy the agency requirements. Of course, it makes sense to disclose to dive buddies any information that would be relevant to them in that capacity, but that would be your judgement call

Actually, there are several strange things in that OP. For example, I have no idea what a PADI Handbook is. Does she maybe mean the OW training manual? Secondly, if he had already done the confined water work, then the medical form would have been required for that; it is for ANY in-water activity, not just OW checkout dives. Thirdly, she makes no mention of WHY she had a "doctor's certificate"; did she check Yes on the questionnaire? Did he check No? She does not say where she did her training, nor where his is. If Chiba, presumably Japan, which she gives as a location, then Japanese rules apply. I do not know what those are.

From what I can tell - wife (OP) certified in Spain in the past, and had to provide a doctor's note (Spanish rule, as suggested upthread?). She is now in Japan, and her husband is getting certified, so the question is about him. She hasn't gotten an answer from the dive shop yet. Sounds like PADI, but we only have two posts and nothing else from the OP.

Right, I'm not an instructor, but from what I gather it's either all "no" checkmarks OR the doctor's note to satisfy the agency requirements. Of course, it makes sense to disclose to dive buddies any information that would be relevant to them in that capacity, but that would be your judgement call
^^^THIS

The problem with that is that the requirement is presented when you show up for a boat ride. If you have anything that might be a yes, you better have brought your doctor along or be prepared to lie or be prepared to not dive that day. Especially troubling if you're on a dive trip out of the country.

Less of an issue for dive training. Some agencies want the note, some don't. Most people would have time to go to a walk in clinic or something to get the paper signed (or their PCP, if they happen have one). Seems superfluous to do it more than once ever (before open water).

Oh bring on OLPC 2.0 please. Over a year delayed but who knows, maybe at DEMA in two weeks. Will take care of all the above.

For those wondering, students will be responsible for signing up online, e-signing their own medicals - doctors approval must be obtained and attached electronically (if necessary) before student can get wet.

IOW onus moves to student from instructor.

The problem with that is that the requirement is presented when you show up for a boat ride.

Right, but I was speaking about training. Apparently this idea of needing a questionnaire or medical clearance for diving outside of training is something that I haven't encountered yet.

I mean, there are a lot of areas of the world where I haven't been diving, and I'll take everyone's word for it that this is a common problem, but I don't remember experiencing it in the USA (northeast, CA or FL), Canada (Newfoundland, Thousand Islands), the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central America, Truk Lagoon...

Right, but I was speaking about training. Apparently this idea of needing a questionnaire or medical clearance for diving outside of training is something that I haven't encountered yet.

I mean, there are a lot of areas of the world where I haven't been diving, and I'll take everyone's word for it that this is a common problem, but I don't remember experiencing it in the USA (northeast, CA or FL), Canada (Newfoundland, Thousand Islands), the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central America, Truk Lagoon...
Same experience here.

* I've only been asked to fill out an RSTC form when i arrived on a liveaboard in the Maldives.
* I have been asked in advance on a liveaboard in Indonesia for a doctor's signature less than 6 months old because of my age,
* And I have been asked in advance on a different liveaboard in Indonesia to look at the RSTC form, and if there are YES answers to bring a doctor's signature, but not the RSTC form.
* In all other instances, I've been given a waiver to sign that says something like "Is there anything that we need to know about your medical history and medications?"
None of these involved training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom