own versus rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you own, you can also buy a Seacure moldable mouthpiece for your reg. They are much more comfortable than standard mouthpieces. Less jaw fatigue, and no feeling of your teeth not lining up properly when you bite down.

For someone who has never used anyone else's regulator (yup, showed up for my first OW swimming pool training/session, with my own complete scuba gear, including regulator and dive computer plus I would always carry a spare regulator during dive trips), I may have no right to express my opinion on the matter as I really don't have any experience using a borrowed or rented regulator.

But for the very reason that regulator is the main diving equipment that's keeping divers alive underwater, having my own regulator (which I am quite secure in using as I keep tab of its maintenance and ensure that its in tip-top shape), somehow gives me the additional sense of security that the possibility of it conking out in the middle of the dive where I'm already way way down below is somehow remote. Also, I've been to remote dive locations where condition of the LDS' rental gear appear dubious judging by their visual appearance. At least, maybe that would be a sufficient justification to having your own regulator rather than merely renting the same from a dive shop.

I had originally not intended to purchase regulators, but came across a deal I couldn't refuse. I was doing (on average) 1 dive/month before I purchased, and 6-8 dives/month afterwards. Definitely was a good call for me.

Beyond the usual reasons for owning versus renting, a big one for me is simply comfort. When I'm using my own regulator, I know it's going to feel 'right', and it becomes one less thing to 'worry' about.

My thought is: Own when possible.....Traveling is NO Problem ie travel weight etc

I'll cast a contrarian vote with what I actually do, which is rent. For me, it's not the cost factor so much as the amount of stuff that I already have to lug through a long day of traveling at each end of the trip. Unlike the poster referenced above, weight is a big deal for me, and I'm already hauling as much as I can stand. For this reason, I don't have my own reg or BCD.

If you own, you can also buy a Seacure moldable mouthpiece for your reg. They are much more comfortable than standard mouthpieces. Less jaw fatigue, and no feeling of your teeth not lining up properly when you bite down.

You can have your own mouthpiece put on a rental reg; they've always been happy to do it for me. You just have to remember to ask for it back at the end of the week, along with any of your own little goodies you may have on the BCD you're probably also renting.

An instructor friend of mine has just chimed in to say that at 20 dives per year, buying your own reg is a "waste of money." I'd tend to agree, while acknowledging that I've been lucky thus far -- have never had any problems with anything I've rented. It can happen any time, and the first time it does, I'm sure I'll regret my choice. So far though, almost ten years of almost exclusively Caribbean diving later, I'm still happy with the way I'm doing it. But that's me.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

thanks for all your advice! Have just bought an Aqualung Mikron and will try it out in a couple of weeks in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom