Oxycheq Mach V and STA choice - Mini/Light/Soft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selytch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello guys,
I'm planning to get a new Mach V 30# Signature series.

I'm trying to find the right STA to use with it... Currently I'm using just one apollo bio tank lock strap with the slotted wing, which works great.

There are three STAs I can find on scubatoys:
lightweight
soft
mini (x2)
They all are meant to be used with two straps.

Using one strap on mini will put all the tank weight on one bolt, which is not a good thing IMO.

I'm not clear, how the soft one works. Where do you thread the strap?

With the lightweight one I'm wondering if anybody used a strap _under_ the STA, and not through the slot...

Maybe there are some other options I'm not aware of, please let me know.

Thanks you all for responses!

I guess thats what it all comes down to. The second strap. Having one strap was very convenient. :(

There are three STA available from OxyCheq.

The mini is two small individual adapters intended to bolt to a backplate for travel use.

The soft adapter is a lightweight adapter for travel use. Kind of a roll control device.

There is also a light weight single tank adapter which is a full adapter with the excess metal trimmed off.

In all cases I would suggest two cam straps, but it's up to you.

Mat.

Just get a plain jane STA. 2 straps, STA, and be done with it.

I have the Mach V Extreme wing, which has the soft STA integrated in to it. If the separate soft STA you are looking at requires threading the cap straps through the slots in the backplate (which it probably does because that is how mine works) then keep in mind that it works better with 7.25" tanks than on 8" tanks...on 8" tanks there is barely enough velcro left to keep the strap flaps down because some of the strap material gets used by threading it through the plate. I recently put the lightweight (one piece) STA on my setup since I use 8" tanks....I really like the lightweight STA.

Are you sure your wing does not already have the soft STA? It will look like four little folds/rolls of material near where the cam straps come through the wing. I

I have an older Mach V without roll control or slots, and I just got the ultralight plate and the soft STA. I'm using my older metal STA right now instead, because I didn't want to cut slots in my wing, and the sex bolts seem to fit better though that anyway vs. the thick grommets on the soft STA... but maybe I could just slide the cam straps between the soft STA and the wing. I'll have to try that and see how it works, but I'd be worried about the tank sliding.

Actually, I would get the Dive Rite single piece STA, that is what I use with my early addition Oxy Mach V.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom