Oxycheq Mach V vs. DSS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer:
You've got to be kidding. I've tried the Mach V with STA. I've tried the DSS Torus without (on a DSS plate). Sorry, but there's no difference in "wobble factor". Have you dived DSS?

I have to go do some work, y'all argue on and I will drop by again later. As to kidding, no I am not, you have your opinion and I have mine. I have provided my opinion as such--personal opinion. Unlike Steven, I do not own every BP/wing, perhaps he wishes to comment on your thesis.

As to a Torus vs a Mach V, why do they name wings after cars? I don't know and why would I wish to try a Torus anyways when I have a Mach V :rofl3:

Just teasing you, don't freak out on me :) .

N

Nemrod:
I have to go do some work, y'all argue on and I will drop by again later. As to kidding, no I am not, you have your opinion and I have mine. I have provided my opinion as such--personal opinion. Unlike Steven, I do not own every BP/wing, perhaps he wishes to comment on your thesis.

As to a Torus vs a Mach V, why do they name wings after cars? I don't know and why would I wish to try a Torus anyways when I have a Mach V :rofl3:

Just teasing you, don't freak out on me :) .

N

I'll ask again. Is your opinion actually based on having tried DSS? If not, I really don't see how you can comment on if it wobbles (FYI, it doesn't). You don't need to have tried every wing to comment, but you at least have to have tried the wings/plates under discussion!

mattboy:
Well, on my flat plate (jetharness) and on my friend's DSS set up, the tank is not "wobbly" at all without a STA. Some set ups need a STA, some set ups benefit from one but will sort of work without, and some are designed to work well without. Also, in some situations the added weight is a benefit, in others it's a detriment. What's the big deal?

The STA was originally used (as far as I know) to adapt BP/W set ups that were designed for double tank use. Now there are some wing manufacturers that specifically design wings for single tanks that are intended to not use the STA. Saying "it's better to use a STA" in all cases doesn't make any sense.

There's a lot of truth in what you say... plus, a lot of the time it's simply what someone started with that determines their preference. I suppose that's why it always generates such debate.

Actually... other than your Jet... and the Oxycheq Koplin Travel/ Mark Meadows Low Profile plate... everyone uses an STA of some sort or another. Even DSS uses a STA they just call it something else and attach it permanently to the wing. We call it STA-less... but it's really not... and just like everything else, it comes with its own plusses and minuses.

Stephen Ash:
and just like everything else, it comes with its own plusses and minuses.

True.

About a year ago Stephen was kind enough to send me his Mach V (and STA) so I could compare it to my DSS rig. Was able to do about 15 dives on it over a couple of weeks. It's a beautiful wing. Very sleek. Very similar to the DSS Torus 26#.

That said, I still prefer my DSS rig. For me, I personally didn't like messing with the bolt-on STA. Just an extra hassle, since I always travel with plate and wing seperate. Is it a huge deal? No, just a preference. That said, reading posts suggesting the DSS mounting wobbles is silly. It's just as rock solid as when I used the STA. I also like the DSS plate (very flat, like the grommet inserts, option for weight plates, etc). The DSS wings work best with a DSS plate. If you already have a non-DSS plate, then either wing will serve you well.

Rainer:
I'll ask again. Is your opinion actually based on having tried DSS? If not, I really don't see how you can comment on if it wobbles (FYI, it doesn't). You don't need to have tried every wing to comment, but you at least have to have tried the wings/plates under discussion!

I think you and I are the only ones around here that have some experience with both the Mach V and the Torus and we each prefer different ones. Go figure. You actually put in some pretty good dive time with the Mach V... you gave it a fair ride. A smart fella would give your opinion some weight.

Like I said, I think a lot of it depends on what you started with. I've been using STAs for almost 7 years... can't imagine diving a single without one. I can think of a lot of things that I personally like about a standard one piece STA... and they're things that I THINK... MIGHT... benefit someone else.

... all depends on what your looking for, I reckon.

The quick answer is that while I have not dove the no STA wings I have seen them in use and it is my observation that they:

1) tend to slip the tank

and

2) they wobble, some more than others

and

3) it is a pain to have to assemble a floppy wing to the back pack every time you switch tanks and even though the wing you like has some sort of doodads on it to keep it to the plate I will stick with an STA which again is my preference and my opinion to which I will stand by.

I sewed some industrial velcro to a older wing i had and then double flush riveted the opposing velcro to the plate. The wing stayed to the plate via the velcro and the tank attached to the plate with metal cam lock bands--not the nylon web type we use today. It did not use a STA.

If you don't want a STA, as I said, you can always change your mind latter, it is a minor thing, the WING is the THING.

Side note--I modify most everything I get for my purposes sometimes significantly. Unless you have dove my rig--then you do not have a valid reference point yourself.

Question, why seperate the wing from the plate at all, why does travelling with the BP/wing require it to be seperate--I keep mine together?

N

Glad to hear your "preference" is based on seeing but not actually trying. Great basis for your "opinion". Listen, if you want to have uninformed biases, that's fine, but please refrain from commenting in a thread directly comparing two products when you haven't tried both. That's not really helpful. As for why I seperate the plate and wing, I do so to avoid potential pinch flats. While rare (though the most common cause of wing failures), keeping the hard plate away from the wing is one of the simple and easy things one can do to preserve the integrity of the wing (well, it's easy when you don't need an STA!). I'm glad you're happy with your OxyCheq wing. It's really quite nice. I wouldn't hesitate to use one again. What your experience has to do with a thread asking about how it compares to a wing you haven't yet tried, however, is beyond me.

Nemrod:
The quick answer is that while I have not dove the no STA wings I have seen them in use and it is my observation that they:

1) tend to slip the tank

and

2) they wobble, some more than others

and

3) it is a pain to have to assemble a floppy wing to the back pack every time you switch tanks and even though the wing you like has some sort of doodads on it to keep it to the plate I will stick with an STA which again is my preference and my opinion to which I will stand by.

I sewed some industrial velcro to a older wing i had and then double flush riveted the opposing velcro to the plate. The wing stayed to the plate via the velcro and the tank attached to the plate with metal cam lock bands--not the nylon web type we use today. It did not use a STA.

If you don't want a STA, as I said, you can always change your mind latter, it is a minor thing, the WING is the THING.

Side note--I modify most everything I get for my purposes sometimes significantly. Unless you have dove my rig--then you do not have a valid reference point yourself.

Question, why seperate the wing from the plate at all, why does travelling with the BP/wing require it to be seperate--I keep mine together?

N

easy separation of the wing from the BP a la DSS makes for easier packing and cleaning/rinsing, too. swishing the wing around to rinse the inside with an SS bp attached can be a bit of a pain (or a great workout - depends on your point of view).

docmartin:
easy separation of the wing from the BP a la DSS makes for easier packing and cleaning/rinsing, too. swishing the wing around to rinse the inside with an SS bp attached can be a bit of a pain (or a great workout - depends on your point of view).

If you don't want the plate there just unscrew the STA wingnuts, thumbwheels or whatever you use first, then rinse or pack the wing. It's not hard.

*Floater*:
If you don't want the plate there just unscrew the STA wingnuts, thumbwheels or whatever you use first, then rinse or pack the wing. It's not hard.

No one is suggesting it's hard. It's just a hassle. The DSS solution is cleaner and faster. I agree with Stephen, for some people (namely those without DSS plates), an STA does offer potential benefits. Ease of use (over a design not requiring it) is not one of them.

Back
Top Bottom