Oxycheq Mach V vs. DSS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer:
No one is suggesting it's hard. It's just a hassle. The DSS solution is cleaner and faster. I agree with Stephen, for some people (namely those without DSS plates), an STA does offer potential benefits. Ease of use (over a design not requiring it) is not one of them.

Well, I have a DSS plate (two actually) and dove with their LCD 30 wing, but currently use an Oxycheq razor for singles. Granted you could just pull the LCD off the plate without needing to unscrew anything after the tank was off, but it's hardly any trouble to unscrew two thumbwheels and you don't even have to unstrap the tank before doing it. Not that it matters, but I bet I could remove the wing faster from my rig than you could remove the tank first and then pull the wing off.

Plus, one thing I didn't like about the "STA-less" solution was the very fact that it came off so easily because the wing would often drop off the plate and hang by the cam straps after I removed the tank to change it or for transport, and if a DM grabbed it to put a tank there they wouldn't know what to do with it.

Besides I often like to unscrew the thumbwheels first to remove the plate and wing and only then take off the STA and cam straps from the tank - I find that easier.

So for me personally the STA = less hassle and is the cleaner solution. Plus I can use it to rig independent doubles. But I also know a lot of people on this board who like the "STA-less" solution and that's good for them and it's good to have different options out on the market. To each his own.

That's fine. I can appreciate different experiences (seeing as you've actually tried both, unlike some other posters). I've NEVER had the wing drop off the plate, and I've never had a DM touch my gear. Difference in approach I assume. As I've said, for me, I just don't want to deal with thumbwheels and the possibility of losing them and being SOL. Listen, I have to go through it with my doubles, which I dive more often than singles, and I appreciate the break when diving an STA-less design. As you say, to each his own.

It is more fun. :)

For those new to this thread, I simply suggest you read the posts by those who have actually tried both sets of wings. Some liked Oxy, some liked DSS. Figure out what features are important to you, and then go drop some dough. Or flip a coin if you want. Really, it's all good product.

I only have experience with the Oxycheq Mach V wing - the new version with the stabilizers - on a DSS SS backplate.

The wing came with a couple of plastic sex screws (that's what I know them as??), which conveniently semi-permanently attaches the wing to the backplate. It is certainly less convenient than the DSS snap-off system for separating wing and plate, but it holds things together quite nicely.

As far as tank stability, I only have 4 dives with my new set-up, but have felt absolutely no tank wobbling. I got a set of the DSS Elastomeric Wedge Blocks:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=56

and Dive Rite tank straps and IMO there is no chance of tank slippage once I get those straps cranked down. I think the wedge blocks, aside from better guiding the straps through the slots in the plate, compress and help to keep tension on the straps.

The only thing I've found, is that when slipping the BP/W onto the tank, it is possible to strap the tank down a tad off center in relation to the plate, which wouldn't happen with an STA. But since I noticed and keep an eye on it, I haven't found it to be a problem. And I certainly feel no unbalance when under water.

So I'm happily STA-less with my Franken-BP/W set-up. Oh, and *very happy* that I went BP/W as my first gear purchase (thanks Stephen) - but that's a different discussion all together.

Henrik

spschneer:
Which DSS wing for Singles would be equivalent to (or better than) the Oxycheq Mach V. I'm especially asking about the compactness / streamlining / resistance to "tacoing":confused:. Especially, if you've tried both, which was "better"...

Do you prefer access to the bladder or no-access to the bladder?

It's a good question, don't you think? ASSUMING everything else is equall, bladder access is a major difference.

Stephen Ash:
Ding, ding, ding! Round 2!
:rofl3::lotsalove::rofl3::rofl3::popcorn:I Love it...

evad:
Do you prefer access to the bladder or no-access to the bladder?
I "THINK" I prefer access because of TS&M's comment earlier about the pinch-flat and the ability to self-repair...I'm not too sure how common that is, but if it happens at all, I sure would prefer to be able to fix without a trip back to the manufacturer...

What do y'all think( for Round 2:D)?

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom