Question Oxygen fill whip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

description says it's rated to 3000psi

Yeah.
It just reminded me of a valve
Like this.
20240119_152701.jpg

I have overloaded many a small valve, on purpose.... like a 400 psi 1/4 turn valve in a 2500 psi powerwasher sys,
Never seems to have any problems.... just a bit stiff😀

On o2 I am more cautious...

Heres mine, not sure that my valve is not O2 rated. I am sure someone will not like it. But took it all apart cleaned and washed everything, has good seals.

I tend to use the oxygen bottle valve to throddle more than the needle valve.
It more of a backup.
Key is to be patient, I try not to be in a hurry.

20240119_151323.jpg20240119_151312.jpg

Don't. Never buy a valve advertised from a scuba outfit For Oxygen Use
Also the advert you quoted if fully Bull S

You need a stated burst pressure of at least a 4:1 safety factor for brass stamped material
You need to know the Cv rating of the valve
You need to know the number of turns to fully handle locked open
And more important the number of turns to full flow open
You need to know the seat material and polymer used
You need to know the Packing material and design

You also need a full data sheet on the valve in question and the manufacturer
This Needle Valve is built specifically for ************* is pure bull for the amateur reader.
Pretty strong words for a valve you haven't seen from a guy you don't know and a shop you've never been in. Good to be cautious, but really!

Are these manual boosters still available?

I have the big one, of course I have.

Now I don't talk about what others do just what I do because I've done it
So when I am boosting from the 165bar E Bottles I get from the gas shop
to my G - storage, or teensie weensie two or three litre rebreather bottles up to 230 bar
and the booster goes bang bang bang what will needle valves have to do with anything

I also use a booster for transfilling as they're always hooked up unless I'm using a whip, no needle valves at all

Rebreathers where precise control of how much O2 you are letting through at what depth is good, that's good

Partial pressure blending is like cooking, a pinch more of this, a pinch more of that
with a fudge factor here, what's the weather doing, how do I feel it's time for lunch

That is why people build a nitrox stik like they're not supposed to, because they're supposed to be more easier

Why the heck when you're moving a mass of oxygen move it through the smallest orifice with the most friction

If you didn't do valves up so tight you would have more control when opening them, wrist exercises, two hands

Does anyone know how to calculate how much drive gas a booster uses

360_F_436692934_VmE7pIf3qwT0CQPMbhzqT2NO4kRi1ktM.jpg

Based on the number of people here that argue to use the tank valves to control the flow I wonder if I "read too much" at my blender course, ie to only use control valves for controlling the flow. Seems tank bottles only is quite standard. Bit to late for me as I ordered the Whip I linked earlier already:)

Does anyone know how to calculate how much drive gas a booster uses
Need the performance data for the booster. The starting pressure of the source gas, the size of the source gas bottle (to figure the ending pressure of the source gas), the starting pressure of the bottle to be filled, the size of the bottle, and the desired fill pressure.

Or the quick and dirty guess of one AL80 of drive air to refill one 3L rebreather cylinder, so long as none of the pressures are that in either source of rebreather cylinders are too low to start with.

Based on the number of people here that argue to use the tank valves to control the flow I wonder if I "read too much" at my blender course, ie to only use control valves for controlling the flow. Seems tank bottles only is quite standard. Bit to late for me as I ordered the Whip I linked earlier already:)
As Halcyon tank-valves are quite common in our area, be aware that these have a very short travel from closed to full tilt boogie. Hence I also don't like these for O2 on my ccr.

@rob.mwpropane parker NP6 or similar in 316SS would be ideal, but most aren't looking to spend that much
I am definitely one of those people!
I use the O2 bottle valve because in my mind it was built for O2. The other valves I leave wide open because even though they were O2 cleaned, they're not necessarily built for O2. A needle valve would make mixing easier (could probably even set it and forget it for the most part), but the reality is after the 1st 100psi or so I get the flow about where I want it and then I'm stuck babysitting anyway. I want a needle valve, but I don't need one.

Whip I linked earlier already:)

These whips are fantastiche man, you can't use a straw

Need the performance data for the booster. The starting pressure of the source gas, the size of the source gas bottle (to figure the ending pressure of the source gas), the starting pressure of the bottle to be filled, the size of the bottle, and the desired fill pressure.

That's cool, but that's all far too complicated for me man

I'll stick with donor low, recipient high, small single stage

So drive gas required in this case and all other cases and all manufacturers fudge their figures
and they don't give you the figures anyway

will be as above in post 24

INFINITY

download (2).jpg

Because drive gas is:
like filling up your scuba tank with a big compressor but your scuba tank has a hole in it but faster
because that's how much drive gas you will need
Always!

Because this is the proven formulae for drive gas

These whips are fantastiche man, you can't use a straw

That's cool, but that's all far too complicated for me man

I'll stick with donor low, recipient high, small single stage

So drive gas required in this case and all other cases and all manufacturers fudge their figures
and they don't give you the figures anyway

will be as above in post 24

INFINITY

View attachment 822292

Because drive gas is:
like filling up your scuba tank with a big compressor but your scuba tank has a hole in it but faster
because that's how much drive gas you will need
Always!

Because this is the proven formulae for drive gas

Maybe this is what you need.
Just get out your powerwasher.
And some nice SS cylinderspicture_hydrobooster-0034.jpgpicture_hydrobooster-0033.jpg

Or some less sophisticated ways

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom