Ozark, or Oriskany?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozark is DEEEEP. I'd love to do it one day. I've done the Oriskany.

I've got a few friends that have done the Ozark, and I've been out to it and seen the crows nest, but never actually dove it. I used to live in Destin, FL, and taught down there. Never had the extra time to get into Trimix/Deco diving.
How was the Oriskany? I plan on going to dive it next Spring/Summer.
Corey

The Oriskany was quite a challenge the day I dove her due to currents. Especially surface currents. But it's a beautiful dive. I hope to go back next year and penetrate it.

Yea, I'm sure the Ozark rocks, but I'm not looking forward the the bottles I am going to have to carry to see it! That may have to wait until after CCR....

BTW, when is the new book comin? I've enjoyed the current one a bunch.

BTW, when is the new book comin? I've enjoyed the current one a bunch.

Still grinding away at it. As of now I have 223 wreck narratives -- just in the Atlantic section! It includes lots of new information on wrecks included in SOTSS, many new wreck entries, and most of the major artificial reefs. I am finding lots of new stuff -- just stumbled onto the true history of the ANDRO, which is an AR sunk off Miami. Everyone has its history wrong, and its real history is pretty cool. Regardless, I imagine I will have to produce the work in three volumes as it will probably just be too big for one (and cost prohibitive).

However, I did just sign a contract with Arcadia Publishing for a different book project that will be out mid-year '08.

Cheers,
Mike

There is SOOO much to do on the oriskany. Havent dove the Ozark yet and would like to, but you can do pretty much anything you want on the O....penetrate, deep, exterior stuff, poke around in the island, scooter, video, doubles, list goes on and on...great dive, id suggest going out a couple days in a row.

=)

Becky, did you do it CCR or OC? I'd love to do both of these wrecks CCR but that's gonna be a while. Maybe I'll get to do the Oriskany again this winter, now that things are getting quiet.

Been to both...

USS OZARK - THE REAL "MIGHTY O"

USS ORISKANY - THE DAY AFTER ITS SINKING

Too bad there are not more options out of Destin. The OZARK rocks!

Cheers,
Mike
Just curious, but who did you use to get to the Ozark, Captain/Boat?
I lived in Destin for a while, and know a few guys that have been out there.
Ther is the Megadan, I believe she rests at 220' ish. Some cool hard bottom in the 150'-200'range as well as a host of wrecks in the 115-145 range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom