P.A.D.I. allows family members living at the same address to share training manuals!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try sharing tables during a nitrox course. Usually this results in both students not paying attention 100% of the time.

I keep all my manuals since getting certified in '06, and still read through them occasionally (keeping in mind, of course, any updates to procedure, etc.)

I WISH I still had my manual from the late '70s when I took the course (didn't get certified back then). That notebook was jam packed with LOTS of information--the class lasted 6 weeks and covered material that today is found in specialty courses.

this is the problem i see .everyone wants it( scuba ed) for nothing if you give scuba no value then that what its worth . i still have my original o/w manuel and people oo and aha over it and say so they had books back then lol . my point is to save a few dollars we cheapen the experience. yes save where you can but every student should have there own log book, mask fin snorkel bootie wet suit and yes student books if you get it free its worth nothing just my thought

this is the problem i see .everyone wants it( scuba ed) for nothing if you give scuba no value then that what its worth . i still have my original o/w manuel and people oo and aha over it and say so they had books back then lol . my point is to save a few dollars we cheapen the experience. yes save where you can but every student should have there own log book, mask fin snorkel bootie wet suit and yes student books if you get it free its worth nothing just my thought

you should buy a membership in the most exclusive dive club on the planet, you only have to send me $500 and I can enroll you in it, but it is only for the best divers in the world, there is no application you only have to send me the check.

I have never re-read my OW book, I have only once re read my rescue book once and after I read my Nitrox book about three times I no longer have any use for it either, now why I need two of each of those books on my shelf is beyond me.

it is a thinly veiled excuse to sell books to people to increase profit. I am not sure why the LDS plays the game they do not make very much on the books.

seriously, you have to tear the KR out, really? You cant make copies why? well obviously you cant because then two people could easily use the same book and they cant sell as many books.

If it is really part of the operating costs then just say so, we will forgive the truth sooner than a silly regulation about tearing out the pages from the books.

seriously, you have to tear the KR out, really? You cant make copies why? well obviously you cant because then two people could easily use the same book and they cant sell as many books.

If it is really part of the operating costs then just say so, we will forgive the truth sooner than a silly regulation about tearing out the pages from the books.

Actually, you don't have to tear out the KR. The instructor only needs to document that the KR were completed and reviewed (unless it has changed very recently).

I guess I am confused. Is the poster complaining or what? PADI has "allowed" couples to use the same book or families to use the same book for a while...or at least since I was also working at a 5 star IDC shop about 4 years ago.

The main point they want people to understand is that the "Personal Identification Card" (PIC) must be purchased for each diver. Also, its recommended that each must have their own slates or eRDPs to use and understand in class and on their own. Otherwise, who really cares?

I have had a number of people "share" because they spend their money on equipment and classes and have little left for anything else.

As long as each member learns the material and can take and pass the tests and knowledge review, why should it matter? So long as one of them have the material, they can review it at a later date...refer to it when questions arise, etc.

The main reason why Dive Shops pushed them on every diver is to make money...anyone who says otherwise is likely lying. I should know, that's the reason I left the shop I worked at because they argued with me all the time about making money on every kit sold and they wanted to push everyone to get their own. I often allowed couples to share and sold a separate PIC card which upset the owner because he was losing out on money...even though I had PADI confirm some years ago that sharing was ok between families so long as each understood the material and passed the test without help.

...even though I had PADI confirm some years ago that sharing was ok between families so long as each understood the material and passed the test without help.
But now PADI has confirmed it again, and said that it was against standards. Que pasa?

Coming from a developing country I know how hard it is for many people to afford diving as it is. Forcing them to buy overpriced books just adds to that. I manage a dive shop and we allow family members to share. Others have to buy as we have to stick to "PADI standards". Also PADI material can cost a lot in places that are away from major PADI offices. An OW manual at a member rate from PADI Asia Pacific still costs AUS$56 + S&H + import duties, ending up around AUS$70/copy!!!!!

PADI should look at ways of providing cheaper materials in developing nations. Most international publishers have South Asian editions printed in India for half the cost as international editions. Each additional $ in cost is a deterrent to people taking up scuba diving here and on the long run PADI will also lose out. Some dive shops allow sharing among friends or turn a blind eye to photocopies just so they can get local people certified. I am keen to provide some dive training to local ornamental fish collector divers to tech safe diving practices and also involve them in conservation work but I cant ask them to pay $50 for a book to provide them PADI certification.

Personally I dont think its a big deal sharing. I dont know what the rules were in the 1990's but I learnt from an independent instructor who leant me the manual. Later when i could afford it I bought all the books up to DM even before I could afford the class itself just so I can learn more. I think those of us who are likely to use the books as reference will always buy it at some point. Some will just buy it because they have to and then forget about it. And btw, how many of us sold university textbooks after classes and how many of us learnt using second hand or borrowed textbooks. I dont think its a learning issue but more about Putting Another Dollar In.

this has a big neon sign on it that says protect book sales. as long as the book is current what difference should it make how many use a single copy. except to the seller of the books. and if the shop is not providing the latest books, information content should be more important than that 1 person per copy. this seems to be a method to insure that the latest copies ore on the shelf by forces sales and replenishment and not reused when out of date. but then how much doess a book change and how often. it leads back to the latest version is 3 years old and hence it is a book sales issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom