P.A.D.I. allows family members living at the same address to share training manuals!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheScubaBOB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I called PADI yesterday to ask about this as I've been receiving mixed answers.

Spoke to a gentleman in the Training Department and he explained it to me this way:

In the past some dive shops have been known to "Library" the Manuals to save the students the expense of purchasing them. This has at times resulted in students being trained with outdated materials and not having the manuals available later as reference materials if they should say skip a season of diving and just want to freshen-up.

Family members who live at the same address are allowed to share the manuals and provide their own answer sheets for the knowledge reviews.

This ensures that the divers will have access to the manual after their training is complete.

I did keep the gentleman's name for future reference...

we have been doing it that way for years.They also share the dvd/video.
Obviously each person must have their own log book and should have a rdp. The dive shops that had been keeping a "library" of the manuals were usually in areas of the world that cater to backpackers and college students. I understood that one location it was going on big time is Roatan.

What happens when Johnnie wants to study but Janie has the book in her backpack so she can study on the train? Then someone has to try and quickly get through the chapter and knowledge review in time for class. Given the cost of certification, having your own book is pretty trivial.

Maybe I am niave, but "why wouldn't they be?"

My wife and I shared when we did our OW and AOW, but we did the academics, pool dives, and OW dives for our certification at different times. I had to buy her a separate logbook, but sharing worked for us in that case. We took the NITROX cert togetether this fall and tried to share our pubs and RDPs... That was a disaster!!! We had "fun" doing the test at the end of the academics with only one set of RDPs between the two of us. It ended up that I let her use the RDPs that came with my books, and I used the huge posterboard versions that were in the class for a training aid. If I ever take a certification with her again, I am buying separate publications!!!

This is very interesting. My LDS insisted that we all had to have our own set of manuals so that we each had our own knowledge reviews. Those kits are not cheap. Might need to say something to the owner next time in.

you'd still have to by the "pick" card for $25 bucks. and then you'd want each diver to have their own set of tables for $20 bucks or so.

(yeah... I know they are overpriced.)

for a few extra bucks you can buy the entire manual set of everyone at a decent priced LDS.

^%E$&^%#$&^ stupid dive shop &^$$()*(&'s my wife and I have been told by the local dive shop that we required 2 of everything including the ^%$$%^ DVD from AOW through Instructor. that is a lot of wasted $$$. (&*^*(&*( and &()(&*&*(*(^

^%E$&^%#$&^ stupid dive shop &^$$()*(&'s my wife and I have been told by the local dive shop that we required 2 of everything including the ^%$$%^ DVD from AOW through Instructor. that is a lot of wasted $$$. (&*^*(&*( and &()(&*&*(*(^

why would you buy two copies of the video? (if the same family? unless for example a kid off at college needed to view it for the class.. etc...)

I did keep the gentleman's name for future reference...

This is a new one to me (things do change), I would like the know the name of the person in PADI Training. We are a 5 Star IDC Training Facility and as far as I know, all students are required to have their own books for class. I try to check and be current with all of our updates ( I'm human and could have missed it) but I have not seen a changes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom