P.A.D.I. "Scuba Diver" - Unsafe at any depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Id also like to add that it is a great way of letting people experience scuba diving at a lower cost especially here in the Philippines where scuba diving is considered as a sport for the rich.

Diver0001:
Discover scuba : sit on a pony while someone walks around with it an holds the reins.

Discover scuba diving: sit on a pony and hold the reins yourself on a track with a fence around it.

Just to clarify, it used to be that Discover Scuba was conducted in confined water and Discover Scuba Diving in open water. For a few years now, these 2 programs have been combined into one, Discover Scuba Diving--regardless of where it is conducted.

Iruka:
PADI Discover Scuba diving: max 40' and must have PADI guide.
PADI Scuba Diver Course: max 40' and must have PADI guide...BUT!!..you get a card with your photo on it!

And the Scuba Diver can upgrade to an Open Water diver by completing the rest (at most about half) of the program's requirements. With Discover Scuba Diving, at most, credit is only given for a very small part of the Open Water diver program.

Marek K:
So where's this commmon misconception coming from, that the PADI Scuba Diver Course is something new and yet another example of PADI's "dumbing down" of scuba training?
It's coming from, and perpetuated by people who won't miss any opportunity to blast PADI.

horsemen:
No program has ignited more controversy and criticism than the stripped-down PADI "Scuba Diver" course. PADI justifies "dumbing down" entry-level scuba diving courses to grow the dive industry. But are one and two-day certification courses enough? Should marketing objectives take precedence over diver safety? Should PADI dump the course

full story http://www.cdnn.info/editorial/padi-scuba-diver/padi-scuba-diver.html

what do you think about it
Here are a few questions for you Horseman.
1. What is the difference between a PADI Scuba Diver and a PADI Open Water Diver?
2. Is there a difference?
3. If there is a difference what is it?

To answer the previously posed questions.

RIDIVER501:
Here are a few questions for you Horseman.
1. What is the difference between a PADI Scuba Diver and a PADI Open Water Diver?
2. Is there a difference?
3. If there is a difference what is it?

A PADI OW Diver: From Page 1-1 of the PADI OW instructor Manual
PADI Open Water Divers

are qualified to:

• Dive with a buddy independent of supervision while applying the
knowledge and skills they learn in this course, within the limits of
their training and experience.
• Obtain air fills, scuba equipment and other services.
• Plan, conduct and log open water no stop (no decompression) dives when properly equipped and
when accompanied by a buddy in conditions with which they have training and/or experience.
• Continue their dive training with a specialty dive (Adventure Dive), in the PADI Adventures in Diving
program or in PADI Specialty courses.

A PADI SCUBA Diver: From Page 1-1 of the PADI OW instructor Manual
Notice the operative phrase of
under direct suppervision of...

For the laypersons out there that means they can't go off and do it on their own or with a buddy who is not a DM AI or instructor.

PADI Scuba Divers

are qualified to:

• Dive under the direct supervision of a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or
Instructor while applying the knowledge and skills they learn in this course,
within the limits of their training and experience.
• Obtain air fills, scuba equipment and other services when diving under supervision.
• Under supervision plan, conduct and log open water no stop dives (no decompression)
only when properly equipped and accompanied by a certified divemaster,
assistant instructor or instructor in conditions in which they have training
or experience.
• Continue dive training to complete their PADI Open Water Diver certification
and certain other courses such as the Project AWARE
and Equipment Specialties. (both are specialties that can be completed by anyone, diver or non diver)

I took the liberty of highlighting key phrases just to help them stand out.

Greetings!

I too, am a result of the Scuba Diver "cert". And I can tell you, it was a PITA trying to get moving onto the OW. The dive shop hadn't ever done one before and couldn't tell me the pricing for it. I ended up going over to SSI, did the pool checkout, do two OW dives and negotiated the change over.

Worked for me! It was a COOL as I thought it would be! I have my son doing the "Try Scuba" and my daugther's fiance. Some people only want to dive in warm waters at resorts and they are fine with that. I had to go on. I planning my Stress Management & Rescue course now.

If it wasn't for the Resort Course, although expensive, I wouldn't probably have never got around to diving.

Jack

That's strange. The procedures from ScubaDiver -> OW are straightforward to do, both administratively and technically.

Sounds like you did well in finding another dive shop, though. The first one you talked to seems lacking in both the competance and customer service departments if that upgrade was a problem....

One would think so, Voop. The guy has been around for ages and is a well respected instructor, even by the other agencies. There just wasn't any structure. Show up if you feel like it, there was a five month layover and I just got tired of guessing.

I like the variety and structure of SSI. I will most definitely certify with another agency, since some European countries do not recognize anything but their own certs and PADI. This is what I've read anyway. Good to have some diversity. Sorta like owning every caliber made....:D

Back
Top Bottom