P valve...To glue or not to glue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H20man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all
I ordered the Halcyon P-valve for my DS and after reading plenty of threads regarding the P valve i read that some of you don't use glue at all to install the P-valve to the suit(to be able to remove the P-valve for better and more thorough cleaning).
You just screw the two halves together, sounds like a good idea but i would like more info and advice on this method of installation, any leakage, is it just as secure as using glue?
I'd like to hear what your guys thoughts are on this.

I put the one in my suit in with glue, per the directions. The problem is that, if you have an issue with the installation (or think you do) it's VERY difficult to remove the valve and start over.

With my husband's suit, I put a glued gasket in on both sides of the suit, and then screwed the valve down on the gasket. You do have to get it QUITE tight, but it will seal, and then you can remove the valve if you like.

Scuba Crap: Installing a pee valve

It is surprising how well plastic with slight pressure seals
against rubber hand tight, if you don't deform the gaskets.

Including drysuit valves and dump valves

I used a thin coating of silicone sealant instead of the glue my Halcyon valve came with. Has worked well for a year of ~60 dives. Keep in mind though, that on some suits, using silicone sealant will make it impossible to later perform any repairs or similar on that area of the suit. On my Whites Fusion this is not a problem.

Henrik

Is there any specific rubber gasket I could use to place between the valve and suit or should I just make a gasket out of the adhesive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom