Packing for Bonaire - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paper or plastic grocery bags are often not available, so I stuff a few used plastic ones from home in my luggage, use them for groceries there, then bring them back with me. They come in handy to bring back damp stuff when you return.
Heading down Saturday-

Some sort of trail mix or other snackables can help energy levels between dives, especially if you don't feel like going back to your room (you won't!). We also freeze and bring a sealed pkg or 2 of sliced roast beef (like from COSTCO--also a good place for trail mix, dried "Fruit Medley" etc) in our checked luggage, since sandwich fixin's can be pricey. The breads available at Cultimara Supermarket are wonderful though (!!) and if you are cooking they are well stocked, as is the Warehouse. Oh, bring coffee if you drink it--not much available that is drinkable IMO. Maybe a spare mask, in case you get tumbled in some waves? (not likely but...) Oh and bring a good attitude--it will come right back to you from the locals! // ww

PB & J is good to bring, honey, tuna that comes in the aluminum type packaging was awesome!! We brought dried fruit and nuts for between dives and that was really good. We also brought Mac n Cheese but, it wasn't that much more expensive at the market.

Wank is right....the bread from the market was really good.

Careful about how much food you pack. We were allowed 70 lbs because my buddy had Elite status. Be sure to check the airlines luggage limits....sometimes its better for international. 50lbs would have been rough for all the food we brought.

The mention of mosquito repellent was a very good suggestion! Can not tell you the number of times the biting demons have found me while we were sitting enjoying the evening dinner on Bonaire.

They don't seem to find everyone, but those of us who mosquitoes like to feed on can find early evening dining painful if we aren't prepared! :shakehead:

Staying at GRI....we came in after dark almost every night. We would rinse our gear and walk it thru the condo to hang it outside of the back. Inevitably, we ended up with a few mosquitos in the room and I ended up even spraying for when I went to bed.

As I didn't want to sleep in the stink of deep woods off, I had some skintastic that smelled nice and I could sleep with on.

This may be a bit much but, I'm high maintenance that way..... :)

Having the body chemistry that makes me the first choice to feed on at every party and the misfortune also of have pretty crude reactions to their bites, I have been known to be up with the lights on very late at night, hunting down every critter that has invaded my room and destroyed my night's rest!
It always amazes me how other people can sit there undisturbed by those little fiends while I am suffering. Body chemistry.....?

TIGGRR does that mean Hockeynut bet on the Pens? (I mean Meechyganders aren't legally supposed to bet against the Wings, is what I'm thinkin'...) Oh and Warehouse has better prices on chocolate than Cultimara. (Mmmm, Dutch chocolate of course...) // ww

Cultimara was really expensive on most items!! Also, weigh your fruits and veggies and have them priced before you get in line. They don't do that at the register.

Having the body chemistry that makes me the first choice to feed on at every party and the misfortune also of have pretty crude reactions to their bites, I have been known to be up with the lights on very late at night, hunting down every critter that has invaded my room and destroyed my night's rest!
It always amazes me how other people can sit there undisturbed by those little fiends while I am suffering. Body chemistry.....?

Its because you and I are soo very Sweet jim. :blinking:

TIGGRR does that mean Hockeynut bet on the Pens? (I mean Meechyganders aren't legally supposed to bet against the Wings, is what I'm thinkin'...) Oh and Warehouse has better prices on chocolate than Cultimara. (Mmmm, Dutch chocolate of course...) // ww

Why, yes it does. :depressed:

As a Michigander, I am contractually obligated to support the Wings. Its ok though, the fact that we aren't used to losing is a good thing. :D

Agreeing with gypsyjim:

I'm working on my shopping list for Bonaire. I leave on July 11 also. I probably wouldn't have taken bug replant. I'll add that to my shopping list. Bugs usually don't get me to bad but better safe than sorry.

You guys even have me thinking about some sunscreen. Typically, I just keep getting darker in sun but this is closer to the equator than I've been.

I did buy a pair of 1mm reef gloves just in case. I guess I'll take them but it sounds like I may not need them. Maybe for night dives, just in case I decide to pet a jellyfish (accidentally).

I don't have a skin but I do have a 3/2 jumpsuit and a 3/2 shorty. From what I've read, I guessing that I need to dive the jumpsuit for pretty much all dives for protection from marine creatures instead of only the shorty.

I wasn't planning on taking any food. I figured that I would pick it up locally.

Any input is welcome. It'll be my first trip to Bonaire.

Great suggestions for us newbies. leave in 10 more days and counting down every hour! Still rounding up my gear (and new scuba toys). How do I always find new stuff I just "have to have" before each trip when I did just fine without it on the previous one?

Is it poor form to wear a Glo-Toob marker on the red-eye flight? just wanna get in the mood for night diving.

Back
Top Bottom