Trip Report Padangbai (Bali) Report: Geko Divers August '23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second Luko. Only thing to add is that Amed requires some transport to get around. You will either need to rent a motorbike or hire someone to get you around on a motorbike or car. Padang Bai and Tulamben are both completely walkable.
Depends on where you stay and how much you need to get around. I've spent weeks in Amed, staying in what I consider the "main drag" at Enak Bungalows without any transportation. There are many dive shops, restos, bars, mini-marts, and even the new gym within the immediate area or a 5-15 minute walk. Also, there are moto-taxis for longer trips and sometimes even a Gojek taxi available.

Especially reef species!

Lol ☺️, in Australia some of the best, if not the best eating fish, are the reef species

Ikan kerapu or coral grouper/trout, is one of the best tasting fish in Australia, around 700,000rp a kg, or 1 million rp per fish. In Indonesia it's around 50,000rp for a decent sized fish.

Sorry, I'm not a vegan 😄

Curious - if you could choose 2 spots on Bali or nearby and spend 7 days between the 2, would you recmmend; Amed, Padang Bai, Nusa Penida or one of Gillis? I just came back from 10 days in Raja Ampat in November and am keen to dive again and Bali is a much easier place to travel to. I've also gone to Manada & the Lembeh Straits and am planning Komodo for 2025. Thanks!

Nusa Penida would be closest to Raja Ampat in terms of quality of diving. One thing that you won't be able to do from mainland Bali is night dives at Nusa Penida, you can only do that from the Nusa Islands.

Getting around to dive sites on a boat at Nusa Penida is always great looking at the different sceneries.

Lol ☺️, in Australia some of the best, if not the best eating fish, are the reef species

Ikan kerapu or coral grouper/trout, is one of the best tasting fish in Australia, around 700,000rp a kg, or 1 million rp per fish. In Indonesia it's around 50,000rp for a decent sized fish.

Sorry, I'm not a vegan 😄
Nothing about veganism, my thought is it's more sustainable to eat pelagic fish species rather than reef species. Do you have any problem with harvesting reef fish for the aquarium trade?

Nothing about veganism, my thought is it's more sustainable to eat pelagic fish species rather than reef species. Do you have any problem with harvesting reef fish for the aquarium trade?

I don't know anything about anything,...but in order to make sense and agree with the modern narrative on this subject...if reef fish were to disappear, it could only be 2 reasons... CLIMATE CHANGE OR COVID.

Curious - if you could choose 2 spots on Bali or nearby and spend 7 days between the 2, would you recmmend; Amed, Padang Bai, Nusa Penida or one of Gillis? I just came back from 10 days in Raja Ampat in November and am keen to dive again and Bali is a much easier place to travel to. I've also gone to Manada & the Lembeh Straits and am planning Komodo for 2025. Thanks!

OK I had six diving days. So for me I dont want to be traveling too much so stay with the one dive op which was Geko Divers. But we did drive to Tulamben to dive at the Liberty Wreck and another site. They also do trips to Nusa Penida and Crystal Bay if they have 4 divers.
You could dive at Amed from Padang Bai as well.

If I had only a week and it was my first time in Bali, I wouldn't split it up and waste a day changing resorts. For a first trip, I would choose Amed or Tulamben. Both have a good mix of shore dive sites, from coral gardens, a few wrecks, walls, and sandy muck. Padang Bai is more open water focused, though there is macro and wall dives too. PB is generally much colder than Amed/Tulamben, with 23-26° the norm vs. 28 for the others. Amed is bigger so has much more restaurants, some music and night life and spas if this is important to you. Tulamben is very small. Amed also has a long sandy beach for relaxing and snorkeling, which Tulamben doesn't have. I enjoy both places but spend more time in Amed, because of the addition topside services and the beach.

In Tulamben, I second the recco for Villa Utama, and add in Wonder Dive just down the road. In Amed, I recommend Dream Divers Bali and staying at Enak Bungalows next door. Both great locally owned business, as is Wonder Dive.

I had 24c dives at Tulamben a few days ago. Thermoclines were cold as you went 15m or deeper at Liberty Wreck. Warmer at shallower depths.

What was the
I had 24c dives at Tulamben a few days ago. Thermoclines were cold as you went 15m or deeper at Liberty Wreck. Warmer at shallower depths.
What were the temps in PB? It is "winter" so water can be a bit colder in Tulamben now; and specific sites can be colder year round. It was 25° when I dived the Japanese Wreck in Amed but generally water temps are 27-29° most months in Tulamben/Amed.

Back
Top Bottom