PADI AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to do Rescue next. That’s why I have to do the AOW.
I believe Rescue, with the associated CPR & First Aid courses, will be a valuable experience. I was a Paramedic in the late 70’s so I am looking forward to it.

...from what I experienced and have read it is difficult to get a shop to credit you money-wise for having already done dive 1.

Since it was considered a convenience, and did not change the price, I opted to do the entire specialty and repeated the dive. The instructor was a bit surprised, but he got over it. If there is a significant amount of time between the training it’s good to get the review.

I am going to do Rescue next. That’s why I have to do the AOW.
I believe Rescue, with the associated CPR & First Aid courses, will be a valuable experience. I was a Paramedic in the late 70’s so I am looking forward to it.

You'll have a good mindset and response mechanism for Rescue... enjoy!

But to repeat previous comments... do the entire book... what else do you have to do :wink:

You'll have a good mindset and response mechanism for Rescue... enjoy!

But to repeat previous comments... do the entire book... what else do you have to do :wink:
I have completed all the eLearning courses. I was just not sure if they were required.

.from what I experienced and have read it is difficult to get a shop to credit you money-wise for having already done dive 1
I am completing the full specialty for each of the five. You can do this and just have the instructor record 1 of the dives from each specialty you complete as a dive toward the AOW. This way you can complete both dives of each specialty and the AOW at the same time. My LDS will do it this way.

If you spend a week in Coz you will more than likely do Nav, Deep, Boat, Drift, Fish ID, Wreck, Digital Imaging, PPB, U/W Naturalist and Night Diving as part of your regularly scheduled 2-tank dive activities. No biggy. I will now just have a DM scorecard me.
Deep is required, and an instructor (not DM) must directly supervise you. For the others, an instructor must indirectly supervise, which means,
"Be present and in control of the activities, but not necessarily directly supervising all activities. Approve dive activities, oversee the planning, preparation, equipment inspections, entries, exits and debriefings and be prepared to quickly enter the water."
That pretty much means the instructor needs to be on the boat with you while you do the other four AOW dives.

Since it was considered a convenience, and did not change the price, I opted to do the entire specialty and repeated the dive. The instructor was a bit surprised, but he got over it. If there is a significant amount of time between the training it’s good to get the review.
Oh I agree. Just pointing out the PADI as I recall makes a point of how you can get "credited" for dive 1 toward the full specialty. Have yet to hear of this actually happening with anyone.

Gamechanger-- Not that it matters, but I believe all you need to do Rescue in recent years has been "Adventure Diver".

Oh I agree. Just pointing out the PADI as I recall makes a point of how you can get "credited" for dive 1 toward the full specialty. Have yet to hear of this actually happening with anyone.

Gamechanger-- Not that it matters, but I believe all you need to do Rescue in recent years has been "Adventure Diver".
True, so long as one of the dives is Navigation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom