PADI class has dive calculator instead of tables now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNorman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A friend of mine finally decided to get his SCUBA cert and just finished up his OW classes at the same dive shop I used to get certified. He tells me (I haven't seen it yet) that they got a calculator with their class materials to calculate pressure groups from depth and bottom time. Then you type in the surface interval and it gives you the resulting pressure group, then you can add another dive, etc.

There were some questions in the quizzes that he could not answer using the calculator so he went online and printed out a copy of the PADI dive table and learned how to use it to answer the questions (for example, if you're in pressure group G after a dive to xyz depth how long was your bottom time?) that couldn't be done with the calculator.

So, what is this gizmo? I'm going to ask him to bring it into work so I can take a look at it. Seems silly to me.

It is called the Erdpml- Electronic recreational dive planner multilevel. I will say no more about it. It replaced the erdp and as such resulted in a waste of 25 bucks for a bunch of DM's and Instructors

PADI-eRDPML.jpg

PADI's eRDPML​

I have heard a lot of positives about this device. There are even classes that use only a PDC (Personal Dive Computer). It appears that the only thing constant is change! :D

it's a waste of money.

I've had to buy one as I'm a DMC... i've played around with it, i'll do the required exercises with it then sell/give/throw it to someone.

i see no reason to stop using tables and/or equations when planning... (I'm 28 and have only recently started diving)

Well, that's just about as silly as I thought it would be. The thing that sucks is that they weren't given dive tables or taught how to use them, just the calculator.

I think he's talking about eRDP. It's optional for PADI. Basically just a gadget to do your tables with.

I go certified in June and it didn't seem to be an option for us. The calculator came with the required kit. We were shown a picture of a table but no actual table. We ha to do all of the questions with the eRDP.

i think it's a shop decision to use it or not. I was certified in January and we were shown one, then told it was near useless... to either use tables/equations for planning and a computer or bottom timer when executing a dive.

it works for me as I'm technically minded, but my sister who's been diving for a few years now barely got through her OW and still doesn't understand NDC limits and the theory behind them... she's not stupid, just doesn't get technical details.... lucky her husband does :)

There were some questions in the quizzes that he could not answer using the calculator so he went online and printed out a copy of the PADI dive table and learned how to use it to answer the questions (for example, if you're in pressure group G after a dive to xyz depth how long was your bottom time?) that couldn't be done with the calculator.

So, what is this gizmo? I'm going to ask him to bring it into work so I can take a look at it. Seems silly to me.

Hi Norman,
All of the questions can be completed using the eRDPml which replaced the infamous "Wheel. It just depends on which mode you use: dive planning, surface internval, or meximum depth. Some profile questions require that you use dive planning mode for one part, then switch to surface interval for the next part, then back to dive planning, etc.
The small manual the comes in the box with the "gizmo" describes all these functions and has practice profile questions as well for each type of question on the quizzes.

The PADI Open Water course crewpack now comes in 3 versions: RDP (tables), eRDPml (the calculator gizmo), and Diving with Dive Computers. It is up to the Instructor/LDS to select which course format they choose to teach. Most will not mix formats within a group class.

DMs & Instructors are required to be familiar with all of the PADI Recreational Dive Planners, regardless of their personal choice for planning their own dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom