PADI CMAS equivalence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turnerjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A question really aimed at divers registered with the FRENCH diving federation.

The french federation don't recognise PADI qualifications, however, they will accept my DM card IF I can get a CMAS equivalent card (this goes back to the fact that CMAS is essentially french, and if you sent a copy of your french card to CMAS they sent you a nice CMAS certificate).

Having spoken to someone from PADI europe whose comment was along the lines of 'those bloody french bastards', it would appear that I can't get a letter of equivalence or anything from them (PADI).

Does anyone have ANY idea how I can go about getting some form of recognition from the french authorities.

I know that CMAS think that a PADI DM is somewhere between a CMAS 3* diver, and a 1* instructor. - does anyone have any contact details for CMAS so I can try and sort out something?

Note for the interested: French law has untill very recently controlled SCUBA diving quite rigidly, unlike the states where the training business is a bit of a free-for-all.

Thanks in advance

Jon T

Jon,
If we don't get our Cert. Agencies in line that's what will happen here.

Don't know why the French are like that, except it may have something to do with wine.

Until recently Europe has dominated all of the wine competitions, but recently an upstart California Wine took top honors.

Maybe it's just "sour grapes"

Don #2

Originally posted by don
Jon,
If we don't get our Cert. Agencies in line that's what will happen here.

Don't know why the French are like that, except it may have something to do with wine.

Until recently Europe has dominated all of the wine competitions, but recently an upstart California Wine took top honors.

Maybe it's just "sour grapes"

Don #2

Nah, its just the french being french.

They seem to have a national superiority complex. I don't know if you remember, but a few months ago there was a bit of a political upset over the european rapid reaction force (errf) and NATO. This all came about because France (who are not NATO members) want closer co-operation with other countries in europe (who are all NATO members) and in the process reducing their defence budget, which has spiralled out of control. All because, there is absolutely NO way in which the French would EVER consider NATO membership, because of american involvement.

Equally, for me as a vaccine researcher, the french social attitude (and their patriachal? social system) has resulted in a prevention rather than cure culture. Which is diametrically opposed to that found in the rest of the pharmaceutical industry.

Anyone ever wondered why there is no HIV / AIDS vaccine out there yet?

People with HIV are on about 30 tablets a day. Imagine, 1 shot of a vaccine, vs 30 tablets a day for the rest of your life. Not that I am being cynical at all.

Just a thought.

Jon T

If you are in France, there's not much I can do to help, but if you are in the US, you can get a CMAS card by taking a YMCA course. CMAS recognizes YMCA certifications, in fact, the YMCA issues CMAS cards in addition to YMCA cards (for a small additional fee).

Walter

Originally posted by Walter
If you are in France, there's not much I can do to help, but if you are in the US, you can get a CMAS card by taking a YMCA course. CMAS recognizes YMCA certifications, in fact, the YMCA issues CMAS cards in addition to YMCA cards (for a small additional fee).

Walter

Location Lyon France (temporary dislocation due to work - 2 years)

I am quite aware that I can get a CMAS card by going to another agency such as YMCA, however, I have no real desire to do further courses, since I already have a PADI DM card.

The problem is that as far as the french are concerned I am not qualified. The french don't recognise PADI at all.

PADI don't do CMAS cards.

So, I can either go and do the french basic course working my way upto where I am now, or go somewhere else where they will recognise my PADI card and let me do their next level up, and then (hopefully) be recognised by the french when I get back. Either option is a bit unpleasant, as they both involve doing a course before I can dive in france.

Anyone with experience of going from PADI to the french system? (or getting a CMAS card as a PADI qualified diver?)

hope this makes things less pelucid

Jon

Hi turnerjd

I know the trouble you've seen!

I'm PADI RD certified here in DK where most clubs are CMAS. And there are rules that a PADI diver AOW or above can dive with the CMAS people if you take a medical and follow their diving rules (body line, diveleader and so forth). It is also possible to get small convertion courses. This is in the clubs where the instruction is free but of cource you have to be a member. (You'll probably go diving with these people afterwards anyway!)

Currently I'm in the process of taking the CMAS*** to get into the system (and learn more) in stead of converting the PADI certificat. However, I was of course checked out for diving skills on the first couple of dives. With the levels of instructors being mentioned here I think that is appropiate anywhere.

However, there might be national differenses so maybe the answer is to gome to Denmark a get a quick converion. I'm sure they'll accept a danish CMAS cert. (Or maybe not - they being french and everthing!)

DSAO

Originally posted by DameDykker
Hi turnerjd

However, there might be national differenses so maybe the answer is to gome to Denmark a get a quick converion. I'm sure they'll accept a danish CMAS cert. (Or maybe not - they being french and everthing!)

DSAO

DameDykker,

Whereabouts in denmark are you?

I spent a very nice 8 months or so studying at the Danemarks farmaceutische hojschole (sorry about the spelling, I'm sure I've got it wrong) in copenhagen about 4 years ago or so.

Jon T

I'm in Copenhagen and I studied on the tecnical university - subject chemistry. So we might have more common interestes than diving.

Yes the French ARE nationalistic and patriotric to what I consider to be an almost unhealthy degree. They are also xenophobes, but then so is everyone else in Europe, just about....

gozu

Back
Top Bottom