PADI confined water depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure:

Open Water Dives

Requirements

2. Minimum depth is 5 metres/15 feet.

I'm looking for the specification that the skills must be performed at/below that depth.

You asked "Can you share a bit of the citation itself?"

I gave you the citation in it's entirety - there is no more. Point 1 is something else, Point 3 is something else. Point 2 states the minimum depth for Open Water training locations.

As stated in an earlier post, Dive 1 and Dive 2 have a maximum depth of 40 feet. Dive 3 and 4 have a maximum depth of 60 feet. You can perform the skills required for those dives down to those depths.

The CESA is the skill that has a defined depths of 20 feet minimum and 30 feet maximum.

Sorry, but I don't know how else to answer your questions.

When students perform the out and back navigation, it can be performed at a maximum depth of 40 feet on dive 2 and a maximum depth of 60 on dives 3 and 4. Ditto for other skills.

Bill

If this does not answer your question(s) then I either do not understand what you are asking, or I cannot articulate my answers well enough....if so, someone else is going to have to answer them.

You asked "Can you share a bit of the citation itself?"

I gave you the citation in it's entirety - there is no more. Point 1 is something else, Point 3 is something else. Point 2 states the minimum depth for Open Water training locations.

As stated in an earlier post, Dive 1 and Dive 2 have a maximum depth of 40 feet. Dive 3 and 4 have a maximum depth of 60 feet. You can perform the skills required for those dives down to those depths.

The CESA is the skill that has a defined depths of 20 feet minimum and 30 feet maximum.

Sorry, but I don't know how else to answer your questions.

When students perform the out and back navigation, it can be performed at a maximum depth of 40 feet on dive 2 and a maximum depth of 60 on dives 3 and 4. Ditto for other skills.

Bill

If this does not answer your question(s) then I either do not understand what you are asking, or I cannot articulate my answers well enough....if so, someone else is going to have to answer them.

Sorry, just wanted to make sure I was being clear as my question could have been read as asking for a citation for minimum depth of OW dives. (And based on the info in your answer I assumed you were reading my question as such. I had no doubt as to what the minimum depth of the dive needed to be, but several people above said that the IM specified that the skills had to be performed deeper than 15ft. I'd never heard or seen that before, so was looking for any information to confirm that.

This will be covered during your IDC - it does not specifically say 'minimum 5m for skills assessment' in the IM. If you have any queries regarding standards, it's better to e-mail an Educational Consultant in your local PADI office than asking questions on public forums. The answer you get from PADI will always be correct, with public forums, this is not always the case... (Not that there's been any bad advice in this thread..)

Sorry, just wanted to make sure I was being clear as my question could have been read as asking for a citation for minimum depth of OW dives. (And based on the info in your answer I assumed you were reading my question as such. I had no doubt as to what the minimum depth of the dive needed to be, but several people above said that the IM specified that the skills had to be performed deeper than 15ft. I'd never heard or seen that before, so was looking for any information to confirm that.

Cool, glad my comprehension skills are still intact! It is funny how stuff can be interpreted - Posts on SB or the IM.

I was taught/shown, not to over-think the IM.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom