PADI Deco.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...... At least one venous gas emboli study has revealed higher bubble scores in divers who ascend at a "too slow" rate.....
mmmhhh ... do You have the paper?
Or I could check with Karl.

Alberto (aka eDiver)
You won't accept my word as the "gospel truth"? :D

OK. Here's a link to the 2004 study by Marroni et al. on the Rubicon Research Repository. Although the purpose of Table 3 is to show correlation of bubble scores with calculated "fast tissue" % saturation, it provides a very clear bubble score comparison among the different profiles employing various ascent rates (3m/min, 10m/min, 18m/min). The 10m/min ascent rate seemed to yield the lowest bubble scores. Interestingly, dives with a 3m/min ascent rate actually had higher bubble scores than those with a 18m/min ascent rate.

"Further, the optimal method for reducing post-dive bubble production is the combination of an ascent rate of 10 m/min (30 fsw/min) with a deep stop at about half the depth of the dive and a stop at 15 fsw (5 m) for 3-5 minutes."

Awesome. Im semi-doing is right...err, correct. Did I actually just say that? :D

"Further, the optimal method for reducing post-dive bubble production is the combination of an ascent rate of 10 m/min (30 fsw/min) with a deep stop at about half the depth of the dive and a stop at 15 fsw (5 m) for 3-5 minutes."

Awesome. Im semi-doing is right...err, correct. Did I actually just say that? :D
Before you get too satisfied with your dive profile, how many of your dives look exactly like the ones included in that study (square profile 25m max depth, 5min deep stop at 15m, 5min shallow stop at 6m)? :) It's possible that with deeper or shallower recreational dives, the "optimal" profile might be a little different.

One of the things that I took away from the 2004 Marroni et al. study is that ascending too fast OR too slow might produce more venous gas emboli.

Before you get too satisfied with your dive profile, how many of your dives look exactly like the ones included in that study (square profile 25m max depth, 5min deep stop at 15m, 5min shallow stop at 6m)? :) It's possible that with deeper or shallower recreational dives, the "optimal" profile might be a little different.

One of the things that I took away from the 2004 Marroni et al. study is that ascending too fast OR too slow might produce more venous gas emboli.

Sadly, not one dive i've ever been on has been perfect. I try to be really good about it, though; I feel like striving for a profile like this is better than not. However, your observation about too fast or too slow is dead on, and completely shocking. I would not have predicted that ascending slower like that would cause the changes it did in surface saturation.

good read!

Last edited:
Basically you're saying that under normal conditions deep-stops in rec diving are completely unnecessary?

Hi Colin,
I am saying that there is some great support for doing deep stops, I do a deep stop myself, followed by a safety stop. But doing what I understood you to say (series of stops a few feet apart) is not, to the best of my knowledge, shown to be useful under regular recreational diving circumstances. Also, most recreational divers do not perform deep stops, so if that counts as any sort of indicator, the short answer would be that yes, under normal conditions deep stops appear to be unnecessary. Not a bad idea, but not necessary.

Thanks

Speaking as a diver that was trained by an agency that teaches not only deep stops but also Pyle stops (1min stops every 10ft/3mtrs) in it's recreational curricula, the key point for doing so is to remain consistent between recreational and technical diving, with better off-gassing as a side effect.

That being said I feel it is important for a diver to try different techniques and pay attention to the signs of sub-clinical DCS (grouchiness, dehydration, lethargy, etc) and see what works best for them. The desired end result is a "clean" deco, you should get out of the water feeling good, not lazy or tired. If stopping at half your depth to play a game of Patty Cake with your buddy leaves you feeling cleanest, then remember to make that a part of your dive plan.

Peace,
Greg

I think Diver0001 was just referring to how some technical divers (GUE, UTD) manage their ascents. In their profiles, they will often include 1 minute stops at 10 ft. intervals. In contrast, other divers may incorporate slightly longer stops (modified deep stop) at 1/2 max depth (or some variation on this theme) with shorter stops between the deep stop and the shallow stop (approx. 10 - 15 fsw).

For recreational divers, the optimal duration and depth of deep stops has not been worked out yet.

I like Diver0001's take on the value of being in total control of the ascent rate. A series of one-minute stops at specific depths demonstrates mastery of buoyancy control. That's a good thing...something that all divers should be able to do.

At least one venous gas emboli study has revealed higher bubble scores in divers who ascend at a "too slow" rate.

It's entirely possible that optimal ascent rates could be different depending on a diver's current depth.

No, it's not that complicatated and it's got nothing to do with DIR or any kind of technical voodoo. Those 1 minute rolling stops through 18-6 metres every three metres means you're ascending at 3m/min. That's about as slow as you can go without doing more ongassing during the ascent. If you make the stops any longer (like 3 min), then you'll actually still do a fair amount of ongassing during the ascent.

In itself, there isn't any harm in ongassing during a very slow ascent if (a) you account for that in your dive planning by including the the ascent time in your bottom time calculations (if you're using tables) and (b) in the context of recreational diving you stay on the safe side of the NDL throughout the whole ascent.

Don't forget, in terms of the table the bottom time is defined from the point the descent begins to the point an uninterrupted ascent to the 5 metre stop begins.

However, the PADI table uses this definition on the assumption that you are making your ascent at 18m/min.

What I tell my students is not to worry too much about the 18m/min ascent rate PADI defined for the table. It's just one of the parameters with which the table was tested but since the development of the table it's become quite clear that 10m/min is already fast enough so they should ascend slower and add their ascent time to their bottom time. I think if you play around with deco software that they will mostly confirm what I was saying that an ascent slower than 3m/min will give you longer hang times and certainly longer total ascent times than ascents in the 3-10m/min range. (now some smart-alec will go out and look for an exception to this but still, you can see it as a rule of thumb).

So to make a long story short:

Assuming you're using the PADI table, which I think the OP was suggesting because he mentioned the 18m/min ascent rate in the first post:

- If you want to count your bottom time up to the point where you start making an uninterrupted ascent to the 5 metre stop then you need to ascend fast enough not to get over the NDL during the ascent. That means about 10m/min and certainly not slower than 3min/min (ie, the 1 min rolling stops).

- If you want to ascend very slowly, any slower than 3min/min and certainly to ignore the ascent rate suggested by any given table then you really need to add your ascent time to your bottom time or in other words to count your bottom time until you *arrive* at your 5m (or 6m) stop. The reason being that you will continue to ongass somewhat during the ascent.

To put this in practice, IIRC the NDL for 18 metres on the PADI table is 56 minutes. If you are planning on making 1 min rolling stops at 18-6meters (or even better, to just put in a 1min stop at 1/2 depth to ensure you're in the 10m/min range) then you could leave the bottom at about 56 minutes and still be ok NDL wise when you get to 6m. However, if you're planning on making 3min stops from 18-6 meters then your ascent is too slow for the table and you'll need to leave the bottom earlier. 5, 3min stops is 15 min, so I would suggest planning on leaving the bottom at about the 41min mark in order to accomodate that ascent. (adding ascent time to bottom time).

I hope that didn't confuse things.

R..

Speaking as a diver that was trained by an agency that teaches not only deep stops but also Pyle stops (1min stops every 10ft/3mtrs) in it's recreational curricula, the key point for doing so is to remain consistent between recreational and technical diving, with better off-gassing as a side effect.
@kanonfodr: Greg, what agency is teaching that "Pyle stops" are "1min stops every 10ft/3mtrs"? AFAIK, a Pyle stop is a deep stop. More specifically, it is a 2-3 min. deep stop taken at a depth equivalent to the midpoint absolute ambient pressure between the maximum depth and the first conventional decompression stop. For deep dives, Pyle advocated for a series of such stops between the max depth and the first conventional deco stop until there was less than 30 feet difference between the last deep stop and the first conventional deco stop. (Refer to the document I linked to earlier.)

No, it's not that complicatated and it's got nothing to do with DIR or any kind of technical voodoo. Those 1 minute rolling stops through 18-6 metres every three metres means you're ascending at 3m/min. That's about as slow as you can go without doing more ongassing during the ascent. If you make the stops any longer (like 3 min), then you'll actually still do a fair amount of ongassing during the ascent.
Oops. I guess I misunderstood what you wrote. I interpreted your described ascent profile to not include ascent time in the stop time. "Rolling" stops are different. Thanks for the clarification, Diver0001.

It's kind of funny. There's so much attention being given to doing stops at various depths during the ascent. Perhaps as much attention should be given to conducting neutrally buoyant ascents. I've been diving with novice divers who insist on dumping all of the air from their BCD prior to initiating ascent. They create a big silt cloud and then work really hard to kick towards the surface. In the post-dive debrief, I suggest to them that there's a better method for ascending. I also point out that straining during the ascent can lead to breath-holding (obvious no-no), over-exertion, and promote carbon dioxide retention.

Why do people talk about ongassing on ascent?
As long as you breathe air under pressure you can not offgas to begin with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom