PADI Deep Diver Specialty..what do you perform in the class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamike16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I was thinking of taking my PADI Deep Diver Speciality and was wondering what is covered, what will I do in the class? I am already AOW Certified and I believe I can Credit my 1 Deep Dive I did for my AOW Cert towards this Specialty Class that requires 4 dives and do and just do 3 dives to complete this specailty. I have done deep diving before, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and thought about taking this Specialty Class for further Education.

Any insight as to what is performed and taught in this class would be very much appreciated.

Mike

Hey mike, well im not sure what you will do with you instructor, but since im such good friends with mine ill tell you what we did.

I wore doubles since thats an interest to me and we went to 130 feet. He then gave me a stage bottle and made me get used to carrying it for deco.

Then we simulated deco at 15feet from a hanging bottle.
Things may differ since i had such a close relationship with my instructor.

That's all?

I can't remember my deep diver course that well (narc'ed? just joking!).

I seem to recall narcosis tests, pressure demonstrations, demonstrations of how colours fade, doing some u/w navigation at depth and breaking an egg to show how the yolk stayed in tact. Oh yes, and a simulated 12 minute emergency deco stop. Very dull.

I didn't honestly think it was one of the better specialties that I did. Maybe it is how it is taught.

I did similar to Rhone Man, plus free (no guide) descent to 40m (not 39 or 41) we were near a wall that went to 52m, free ascent to 18m, then deploy SMB (for 3rd time). P.S. using SMB makes holding accurate safety stop & steady free ascent rate a doddle! I enjoyed it. It was 1 to 1, like my other courses, no premium charged, it was just that I choose a quiet time.

I think the only skills I did on my deep diver course were deploy SMB midwater plus lots of other practice with SMBs shallow, switch to a pony (kneeling on the bottom for that one!), basic dive planning (depth + time, no discussion of how much gas we'd need), and a narcosis test.

My course wasn't hard or very thorough at all.

Mine was similar to everyone else's. I thought it was good at the time. But it turns out a great deal of info was left out. Info I have in my OW and AOW courses. Skills were for the most part just a rehash of what I now consider basic skills that should be well done before taking the course. Buoyancy for one. There was no mention of trim. I learned that here on SB. We did not cover gas planning other than thirds, no SAC calculations, no bag shoots, narcosis tests were a joke-timed combination lock, compare gauges, had to swim for 10 minutes at 70 feet and hold depth, basic navigation I have my OW students do. No use of reel or line, and it was dark yet not much time spent on buddy skills or communication. And he went by standards at the time.

Hi Mike,

Have a look at this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/187937-padi-deep-diver-standards.html

Course Overview (PADI Standard)

Dive 1 - Timed task on surface, assemble/position emergency breathing equipment, timed task at depth, compare depth gauges, explore, ascent/safety stop. Dive 1 recommended depth is 80 - 100 ft.

Dive 2 - Same as 1 except examine pressure sensitive objects (look at crushed bottle), navigate away from and back to reference line, ascent/safety stop. Dive 2 recommended depth is 60 - 80 ft.

Dive 3 - Same, but now you observe colored objects at surface and at depth and do a simulated emergency deco stop. Dive 3 recommended depth is 100 - 130 ft.

Dive 4 - Just a dive. Dive 4 recommended depth is 60 - 100 ft.

Additions

Instructors are limited by PADI standards in respect to many aspects of the dives. However, there are many other skills that can acceptably be added to the course (but cannot be requirements to pass the course). A good instructor might choose to include all, or some of, the following components within the course;

1. Gas Management. SAC rate (air consumption), Calculating gas supplies, Rock Bottom gas.

2. DSMB deployment. Deploying Surface Marker Buoy, via reel, from varied depths.

3. Proper trim and buoyancy. Horizontal ascents. Horizontal Safety Stop/Sim Deco Stop.

4. Use of lights. Light signals. Light Failure Drills.

5. Basic decompression theory, + dive computer assessment.

6. DCI theory, prevention and treatment.

7. Use of Redundant Air Sources (pony and/or doubles).

8. Narcosis Management (beyond the simply narc test) - to include accelerated swim at depth to experience combo of high PPN plus increased workload and CO2. always gets the heads spinning :wink:

9. Low/Zero vis familiarisation. Yes...real zero viz. It also gets the narcosis tripping in nicely.

At the end of my courses, students always have a very healthy respect for the deep recreational depth range. I know the opposite is true for many Deep Diver courses. :(

Thank you all for your replies they were very helpful and I know what to expect when I take the class.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom