PADI Depth Restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL

Gotta luv ga Walter.......lol

I'll bite, what's the AOW designed to do then? I think I've been teaching it incorrectly.....

The last 10 posts or so are absolutely priceless as a snap-shot of current mainstream training....

Too funny, if it wasn't so accurate.

Regards

Steve, if you're actually teaching, you're a cut above. Keep up the good work. As you know, I teach a YMCA program. We have an AOW that's virtually identical to the most common AOW out there. I refuse to teach it, it's a joke. Fortunately, I have another option that is designed to do more than produce revenue. The Silver Advanced class has in depth academics and 10 dives. I can also add in requirements, including additional dives. I do.

BabyDuck:
ah! gotcha! i was hoping it wasn't because you think i'm dense! :wink:

Well, once in a while, I try not to tick people off.............

BabyDuck:
as wonderful as dinner was, next time i want to actually dive with you.

The hand is all healed, come back down, I'm diving again.

ScubyDoo:
PADI has set up basic guidelines solely for the safety of thier divers. There arent any PADI police as you put it, who will come out and arrest you if you refuse to follow guidelines intended for your safety. If you want to dive beyond your training level....go for it. Why not penetrate a wreck or cave while your at it as well. Its your life. Do with it as you will.

The suggestion that an OW diver @ depths below 60ft is anywhere near the same risk as the same diver in a cave or wreck is ludicrous.

Walter:
Steve, if you're actually teaching, you're a cut above. Keep up the good work. As you know, I teach a YMCA program. We have an AOW that's virtually identical to the most common AOW out there. I refuse to teach it, it's a joke. Fortunately, I have another option that is designed to do more than produce revenue. The Silver Advanced class has in depth academics and 10 dives. I can also add in requirements, including additional dives. I do.

Well I hear ya buddy, and since we agree on this, I can say I've had to break the mold of useless AOW classes and do one of two things, don't take them at all, or do it my way in order to not sell out my personal beliefs on how it should be done.

It's a real $hat-sandwich.

Unfortunately I don't have the option with my one agency of a "Silver Advanced" program. That would be a nice option. Fortunately I too have other options available to me now.

I did the PADI Advanced PLUS of old, and it wasn't a silver advanced equal either.

Regards

Walter,
Actually I'm fairly new to diving, 25 dives to date. Probably 15 or so to 60' deep and a couple over 70' deep, Most in cold low visibility rock quarries in ohio, and 2 in St Thomas in warm Clear. I'm not claiming to have a vast knowledge, but considering PADI will give you AOW certification the week after OW I agree with you its a joke. My friend actually did his AOW at one of our local quarries were the max depth is about 60 foot. So how does doing your AOW deep dive in 60 foot of water give you anymore experience than the many OW divers who do this routinely. I personally don't care about getting certifications to brag to non divers about. If someone wants to claim to be a Master Scuba diver with 50 dives more power to them, I personally don't care to spend money to get the title. I'm intelligent and cautious, and I would not do any dives that myself or my buddy is not comfortable with. I really don't feel I need a certificate to prove it. BUT regardless I will get my AOW as it seems alot of places are now covering their rear and now require it for certain dives. I'm sure insurance has alot to do with it. Seems like the old Star Trek theme, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!! or something along that line.
David

DavidHickey:
BUT regardless I will get my AOW as it seems alot of places are now covering their rear and now require it for certain dives. I'm sure insurance has alot to do with it. Seems like the old Star Trek theme, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!! or something along that line.
David

I just got mine, but view it as purely a stepping stone to Rescue where I assume I *will* learn something. That said, my skills did improve during the 5 advanced dives and probably more than just during 5 ordinary dives.

I was just on a dive boat last week with a guy I didn't know. We sat through the same briefing, did the dive, and then the debrief. Back at the shop, the first time I realized he was doing his AOW course was when he asked for a pen.........ROFLMAO.....

The instructor spent half the time guiding him around by the yoke-screw after he trashed the reef so bad when the dive was done his knees were bleeding.

I kid you not.

My buddy and I laughed so hard we were almost in tears. I couldn't tell the story without stopping to gather myself.

That was one fun vacation.

DavidHickey:
Walter,
Actually I'm fairly new to diving, 25 dives to date. Probably 15 or so to 60' deep and a couple over 70' deep, Most in cold low visibility rock quarries in ohio, and 2 in St Thomas in warm Clear. I'm not claiming to have a vast knowledge, but considering PADI will give you AOW certification the week after OW I agree with you its a joke. My friend actually did his AOW at one of our local quarries were the max depth is about 60 foot. So how does doing your AOW deep dive in 60 foot of water give you anymore experience than the many OW divers who do this routinely. I personally don't care about getting certifications to brag to non divers about. If someone wants to claim to be a Master Scuba diver with 50 dives more power to them, I personally don't care to spend money to get the title. I'm intelligent and cautious, and I would not do any dives that myself or my buddy is not comfortable with. I really don't feel I need a certificate to prove it. BUT regardless I will get my AOW as it seems alot of places are now covering their rear and now require it for certain dives. I'm sure insurance has alot to do with it. Seems like the old Star Trek theme, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!! or something along that line.
David

the complete joke is that padi considers anything below 60ft as acceptable for "deep" qualification!

David, in that case, I wouldn't worry about you having the skills to dive to similar depths. You bring out an interesting point.

Hypothetical situation, first diver does his OW course including 2 dives to 60 feet (with some agencies, it could be 4 dives to 60 feet). Immediately after being certified, he goes out and dives 5 more times to 60 feet. He takes no additional classes. The second diver takes his OW class with 4 dives to 20 feet. He immediately takes AOW with 4 more dives to 20 feet and one dive to 60 feet.

We now have two divers, one with an OW certification and 9 dives under his belt, 7 (or all 9, depending on agency) of them to 60 feet. The other diver has an AOW certification also with 9 dives experience, but in this case 1 dive is to 60 feet and 8 only to 20 feet. The party line recommendation would have you believe the first diver is not qualified to dive deeper than 60 feet, while the second diver is qualified to dive to 100 feet. Very silly, IMO.

Steve, I remember the Advanced Plus. I was sorry to see it disappear. It was not a bad class, not perfect, but none are. It was certainly much better than AOW. Does anything stop you from teaching a course equal to Silver Advanced and issuing an AOW card?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom