PADI Depth Restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this has been discussed before, but I recently had a discussion with a friend and we had differing opinions. I'm going on a dive trip soon, and I recieved a call from a friend who has a bad case of the Padi Brain Wash Syndrome, he called to inform me that since I have not taken AOW I would be restricted to 60' on any dive while on the trip. My understanding was 60' was a recommendation for beginners right out of OW and that your comfort level for the dive dictates the depth you choose to go. But after doing a little research on another board I have read that any PADI instructor who goes on a dive with an OW diver deeper than 60' on any dive other than a training dive can be subject to reprimands from PADI if caught. Is this true? If true it sounds like PADI actually does try to be the dive police by attempting to restrict your diving unless you pay them for permission to go deeper. Just wondering does anyone know if there is a place online to read exactly what PADI does say or how they word the 60' restriction/recommendation and how they explain it?
David

Water is blue,
money is green,
that's all that matters,
to most dive ops it seems....

Seriously, some ops are sticklers, but most don't seem to care once the cash is in the till or the card has been swiped. And that's not a bash on the ops, I think they agree with the "comfort zone" of each diver.

I don't officially have my AOW, but have spent more time below 60 feet than I have above it.

When I took OW last fall, it was presented as a recommendation for those new to diving. It was also highly recommended that one take AOW before doing much deep diving. However, the point was also made that what is important is gradually gaining experience at deeper depths with a reliable buddy, not that there is some magic that occurs in AOW that all of the sudden allows you to descend below 60'. I'd say know your limitations and your experience level, and gradually increase both. With just a few dives under my belt, I certainly wouldn't jump in and head to 120'. However, I wouldn't have a problem planning dives that gradually go to greater depths as I gain experience, whether or not I've had AOW.

With that said, I'm already signed up for AOW, EAN and PPB in June and don't plan on doing much diving below 60' before then. But I have very little experience and the courses are part of my plans to increase my experience level and training.

One good reason to have your log available.

DavidHickey:
I know this has been discussed before, but I recently had a discussion with a friend and we had differing opinions. I'm going on a dive trip soon, and I recieved a call from a friend who has a bad case of the Padi Brain Wash Syndrome, he called to inform me that since I have not taken AOW I would be restricted to 60' on any dive while on the trip. My understanding was 60' was a recommendation for beginners right out of OW and that your comfort level for the dive dictates the depth you choose to go. But after doing a little research on another board I have read that any PADI instructor who goes on a dive with an OW diver deeper than 60' on any dive other than a training dive can be subject to reprimands from PADI if caught. Is this true? If true it sounds like PADI actually does try to be the dive police by attempting to restrict your diving unless you pay them for permission to go deeper. Just wondering does anyone know if there is a place online to read exactly what PADI does say or how they word the 60' restriction/recommendation and how they explain it?
David

Look at the stats.
People who die diving are mainly new divers, divers going deep and divers going beyond their qualifications.
Also you are probably only insured to the depth you are certified to because the insurance company also know the stats.
Go do the course.

I'm a PADI instructor, and I have never heard of a rule like that. PADI can regulate what I do when I'm teaching under their blessing, but they have no say over what I do in my free time. If I want to dive with buddies, I will dive with them within the limits of our comfort levels, mine and theirs.

del mo, the log book suggestion is okay, but I've read about some operations that will only accept cert cards. There's a lake in NM on private land. The owner supposedly will only let AOW divers in the lake. You can present an Instructor card, but that's not good enough.

OW class (from all agencies) teaches you the basics to dive to the recreational limits of 130 ft. You have this information.

Based on thousands of people before you, the training agencies have established recommended depths based soley on your certification level. These are recommended depths. If you want they could be CYA depths since the training agencies don't do a lot of training on things you need to be aware of at deeper depths.

Nothing is preventing you from diving deeper. You'll find that most people wouldn't suggest it until you have more experience and/or training.

Bruciebabe:
Look at the stats.
People who die diving are mainly new divers, divers going deep and divers going beyond their qualifications.
Also you are probably only insured to the depth you are certified to because the insurance company also know the stats.
Go do the course.
well the first part i dont want to discuss, even if i dont completely agree. as for insurance reasons, most insurance policies exclude sports like diving, skiing etc. dive insurance policies cover you generally to 130ft (max limit for recreational diving according to rstc) and many even without depth limit. and as i just said 130ft limit - thats also your limit with your open water card (local laws / regulations might set diff limits) for any dives not being part of courses depths like 40', 60', 100' are recommendations - nothing more. ofcourse all the above said about gradually, within comfy zone still should apply.
however in many resortareas you will find that operators limit dives to 100' and some operators have also the annoying 60' rule for owd, often just missused to push ppl into the adv. course. keep in mind you can argue that or simply choose another divecenter.

DavidHickey:
I have read that any PADI instructor who goes on a dive with an OW diver deeper than 60' on any dive other than a training dive can be subject to reprimands from PADI if caught. Is this true? If true it sounds like PADI actually does try to be the dive police by attempting to restrict your diving unless you pay them for permission to go deeper.

PADI has set up basic guidelines solely for the safety of thier divers. There arent any PADI police as you put it, who will come out and arrest you if you refuse to follow guidelines intended for your safety. If you want to dive beyond your training level....go for it. Why not penetrate a wreck or cave while your at it as well. Its your life. Do with it as you will.

Back
Top Bottom