PADI Divemaster Stamina Test Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Crowley's answer best. The Stamina tests have been a hot topic on the Going Pro forum and I too was flamed for asking simple questions. I was told these tests have absolutely nothing to do with any kind of rescue scenario. That they are to asses one's comfortability in water. Personally, I would like to see some alterations so they DO relate to rescues--what else would we be doing as a DMs that relates to saving a life? As far as using the weights, it seems that PADI's only restriction is for floatation devices, so I wouldn't consider that the OP is trying to bend the rules and not do things legitimately. And I don't think anything of this nature should be at the Instructor's discretion--everyone should have the exact same rules. As far as "Do the skills on your own merit" or maybe reconsider becoming a DM---that's just silly. Everyone has different fins, even snorkels. These effect scores on timed tests. I was told that if I couldn't roll out of bed at 2 A.M. and get a 3 on the 400 I should reconsider DM--even though I was in pretty good shape, but hadn't swam really at all since the H.S. swim team in 1970, and lived 50+ miles from the closest pool. I have been totally "comfortable" in water since childhood, but was completely out of SWIMMING shape. Sorry for venting-- these are just my opinions, which I've posted before.

Hi.

Looking at the slightly different wording between the 2009 instructor manual and the 2010 one, it seems to me that ankle weights would indeed be allowed now, whereas they wouldn't before. That's how I'd read it anyway, if a candidate asked me if he/she could use them.

I think Crowley's got a good point as well. If strapping on ankle weights make you a better rescuer, then certainly some situations may warrant you do so, provided you keep them handy.

Lastly, what I found when I did my swim tests, was that I became significantly faster, when I held my arms together in front of me, rather than down along my sides. Try it, it works wonders. :blinking: Just remember you can't actually swim with the arms.

Best regards,
SK

In the PADI OW course watermanship skills, the student is allowed to wear an exposure suit PROVIDED he/she is adequately weighted to be neutrally buoyant. If the OP wants to use ankle weights and uses just enough weight to counteract the buoyancy of her dive boots, it ought to be fine. This would make her (feet atleast) buoyantly equivalent to being barefoot!

The best thing to do is just ask the instructor. They will give you an answer using their interpatation of the standards as they see them.

WOW - there are some really narrow minded posts here.

Sorry , I can not contribute anything useful but then again ¾ of the words on this post are ignorant and arrogant post. God, I hope human consciousness wakes up soon.

Amazing to see how DMs lost sight of the love and SUPPORT for the sport and have turned it into a twisted expression of their own egos.

Rod

Yes aren't you.

I was pretty sure even under the new guidelines you gave to do both.

If you need to execute a rescue, will you have time to strap on ankle weights?

Hear this all the time, about using fins too. If it was a 800m swim and they made you faster, how long does it take to put them on???
In real life you'd probably use the boat instead either way.
So I'd say it's about stamina using skindiving gear and be done with it- like its hard to skindive 800m!

Use the ankle weights for training before the test, it will improve your time without them in the test! 555555555555555
Wearing a now banned in Olympic swimming shark-suit would be questionable- New Speedo 'Shark' Swimsuit Is World's Fastest - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

WOW - there are some really narrow minded posts here.

Sorry , I can not contribute anything useful but then again ¾ of the words on this post are ignorant and arrogant post. God, I hope human consciousness wakes up soon.

Amazing to see how DMs lost sight of the love and SUPPORT for the sport and have turned it into a twisted expression of their own egos.

Rod

You say all this, but offer no contrast....You're living up to your namesake that's for sure!
Where is the love yes indeed!
Hypocrisy in it's most stealthy forms is absolutely spineless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom