PADI Divemaster to SDI Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leapfrog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

Although I have been a regular member of the Board, this is my first New Thread Post.

I currently work at a Dive Center in Spain which is a PADI 5 star IDC and also runs TDI courses including Instructor courses. My boss is a PADI Master Instructor (so are most of the other instructors of the Center) and a TDI Instructor Trainer.

I am currently PADI Divemaster certified and I work mainly in sales, marketing and administration. I want to get involved in teaching Open Water and then perhaps rebreather specialties. I am not very interested in Extended Range Diving and OC Trimix. He has suggested to me that I think of doing the SDI Instructor's course rather than the PADI one. Could you all give me your opinions as to why he might suggest that route and what it means for me in the future as an instructor? On the face of it, looks as though i would have less students come my way in the future?

Thanks in Advance.

Judging by your goals and career aspirations, I'd say the Scuba Diving International route makes more sense. Learning our system will prepare you for a seamless transition to teaching more complex (technical) programs and it does sound like you intend to be teaching rebreather programs through Technical Diving International, given you work for one of our ITs!

Also, I'd suggest that teaching for SDI give you the potential to teach MORE students in the future not fewer since we have sport programs that other agencies do not offer as well as the usual suspects that are common to all. Great marketing opportunity to offer something different.

Have a read of the following and it you have any questions, email me directly.

SCUBA DIVING INTERNATIONAL:
Where adventure and learning begin™

Ten reasons why you should TEACH with Scuba Diving International!

1. ONE-STOP TRAINING SOLUTION
With the International Training family of agencies your divers will never outgrow the training you can offer.
Scuba Diving International is your divers’ entry point, Technical Diving International addresses your divers’ more advanced needs and Emergency Response Diving International lets you contribute to your community while strengthening your most important brand….YOU. Build stronger customer relationships from open water, advanced open water and specialties, through closed-circuit rebreathers, mixed gas, and overhead environment diving. Your level of participation is up to you!

2. ONE-STOP BUSINESS SOLUTION
International Training is the simple business solution for you, your dive center and your fellow instructors. You will enjoy the benefits of:
• One single annual renewal fee for instructors, yes for ALL three agencies
• FREE facility renewals, never a facility membership charge
• Competitive low-priced comprehensive insurance policy that covers you to teach ALL programs and even the programs you may choose to teach from other agencies
In addition International Training offers an easy-to-follow educational system for personal development as well as many upgrade paths for instructors just like you.

3. GLOBAL RECOGNITION
Scuba Diving International courses and certifications are recognized worldwide. We have more than 28 international offices and are members of World Recreational Scuba Training Council (WRSTC), Recreational Scuba Training Council USA, Canada and Europe.
Scuba Diving International programs are also approved by the European Underwater Federation (EUF).

4. INNOVATIVE EDUCATION
As a Pro-level Member of Scuba Diving International you are plugged into the most innovative educational system in the diving industry… worldwide!
Scuba Diving International was:
• First to make online open water training mainstream
• First to present online specialties such as wreck, computer nitrox, deep and navigation
• First and only insured sport-level Solo Diver™ program
• First to release kids’ diving programs
• First to allow you to teach “as they dive,” permitting students to learn to dive utilizing a Personal Dive Computer (PDC)
• First to drop the requirement for beginning divers to learn cumbersome tables, while giving you the option to teach tables…or not!

5. FLEXIBLE PROGRAMS
Scuba Diving International allows you to tailor training to suit your customer’s needs and meet the challenges of your local environment. With SDI you are not forced to follow a video lesson plan. You are part of an organization that is making diving more accessible. For example, our Scubility™ program opens up the adventure of diving to the challenged.
What program would you like to launch to help grow our industry?

6. PERSONAL SERVICE
We do not rest on our laurels and are constantly improving our customer service performance. During business hours our phones are answered by real customer service representatives and we offer 48-hour turn-around on C-cards and Diplomas.

7. e-FLUENT PEOPLE
International Training has a fast, efficient and ever growing online member’s area, which streamlines student registration and product ordering. And it’s available when you are, 24/7/365!

8. PROMOTING YOU
Scuba Diving International connects you to new customers by leveraging new technologies and media. We increase your store’s impact with your divers by driving recognition of the Scuba Diving International advantage through electronic newsletters, online presence in diver forums, an optimized website, public appearances and our award-winning glossy magazine, Diving Adventure.
Connecting your to new customers and embracing technology.

9. BUSINESS SENSE
Increase profits though increased margins on teaching materials for your facility and your instructors. Consolidation decreases your cost of doing business; work with a business partner who cares about your bottom line.

10. TAKE THE LEAD
You know your market and its needs; our local representatives will listen to you and work with you to grow your name, your brand.
We have the tools and the experience to help you to maximize your branding in your community.

Dear Steve,

Well, I certainly can see why you are the Marketing and Communications Director! The only real problem I have is that SDI is just about unknown over here. I have a whole load of PADI people come in or looking for PADI certification. I get some SSI and the occasional BSAC and that is about it. Some CMAS or whatever Federation their home country gives out.

In technical diving everybody does come looking for TDI, though.

Thanks for the ten point P&G sales plan, though. I appreciate your time and trouble.

No worries at all... any time you need information, email me directly.

Also, becoming an instructor with ANY sport agency is the first step in your career progression and it's important you make it with a high level of comfort... and that you make a decision that you think will work. Whichever path you take, have fun, dive safe and try to let your students know how much you love the sport... it's the best gift you can give them.

Hi,

I took the exact same route. PADI DM -> SDI instructor. for me there are 2 main reasons:

1. the material and courses (ones i took and the ones I'm teaching now) are more intuitive. The important stuff are well described and the obsolete materials are less mentioned.

2. With TDI being their "parents"... it's the better route to get into tech diving further down the road.

I find that in the beginning when not many people know about SDI, you just tell them they're under TDI. Most of the time they'll be satisfy. Hope it helps!

cheers, kitson

Back
Top Bottom