PADI - DM active vs inactive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowflyer-- I'm not on board with having instructors/shops inform PADI that a DM is up to snuff and good to become active again. May work a lot of the time because the shop owner most likely wants competent people working there. But:
Unless PADI is willing to let retired DMs re-up without any training, instructors are always going to be involved under any plan I can think of.

I wonder how often this really comes up. The few retired DMs I have run into quit for the usual good, understandable reasons and have no good reason to return.

Can't argue with either of your points. I think both PADI and an instructor/shop should have some say. My only question to PADI is still-- what are the PADI requirements if you are inactive for one year? 3 years? 5+? If anyone has specifics I'd like to know. But, as you said, I'm retired for good, so it's just out of interest (and something to do before my TV show comes on).
There would be no specific requirements for shops, since shops can require that you fly to the moon to work there if they want. But that's different than simply re-achieving active status with PADI.

After reading this thread I'm so happy I let my PADI DM go to inactive status this year. Its nothing more than a glorified pyramid scheme with liability insurance. No thanks, I'll pay for my air and nitrox. Time to watch some other sucker work for free and assume all the risk.

After reading this thread I'm so happy I let my PADI DM go to inactive status this year. Its nothing more than a glorified pyramid scheme with liability insurance. No thanks, I'll pay for my air and nitrox. Time to watch some other sucker work for free and assume all the risk.
I don't really disagree. But, my old lament of it's the DM's own fault if he/she works for free (or "perks). I would never have done it if I knew there was no pay, even though our pay was about minimum wage if you figure $300 CAD for two weekends work.

Its engrained in the culture. People allow the behavior of working for free when you look at all these DM internships around the world. Most coastal dive shops just expect it now. I'm just happy I realized what a dead end DM really is before getting talked into dropping $3000.00 for instructor and never seeing any return on my money unless I want to work 80 hours a week.

I'm just happy I realized what a dead end DM really is before getting talked into dropping $3000.00 for instructor and never seeing any return on my money unless I want to work 80 hours a week.

I would never have done it if I knew there was no pay, even though it was about minimum wage.

Its nothing more than a glorified pyramid scheme with liability insurance.

Hi MEmersonC,

You should form a Divemaster LLC and then claim the losses on your tax filings. No, really, on paper you will lose so much money you will pay no taxes on the income you earn from your real job!

Your liability insurance costs will come off your gross as an overhead expense. It will be free!

Brilliant!

You see, it really is a worthwhile endeavor and as an LLC, you won't mind performing DM work and providing indemnification for your clients. All for a fee that does not cover your expenses, let alone a return on your expertise and time.

Now I know why so many rubes take the bait.

I am sure the Wharton School of Business has profiled this model.

And then when you get sued, you will enjoy interacting with the lawyers, the interrogatories, the depositions, the trial. All on their time table and not yours.

You have an out-of-town wedding for a family member, or a big business deal? No, no, that summons to appear in court takes precedent; lest you be placed in contempt of the court.

Every time a "Pro" gave me the elevator speech for DM, or instructor, I ran out of that shop! Not for me.

I vote for the OP to remain inactive or go inactive. Pay the insurance until the statute of limitations runs out if you are active.

cheers,
m

That’s personal choices. I do not do it for free and I am able to make a few dollars..

Every time a "Pro" gave me the elevator speech for DM, or instructor, I ran out of that shop! Not for me.

I did some training at the local shop and they kept up the go pro speech. Now I’d been diving longer than any of the pros had been alive, and was getting annoyed that they didn’t get that I had made up my mind ages ago.

Well, at the BBQ after training, with OW, AOW, and specialty students around, the senior instructor asks me, for the I don’t know how many f’n times, why I don’t Go Pro. My answer, loud enough for all to hear, was: “Because I like diving”.

Everybody went quickly back to what they were doing and I was never asked again. The instructor and I still get along, he’s a nice guy but is climbing the pyramid, I’m not.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom