PADI E-Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another reason for the cards is i've seen some ops that make a photocopy of your card for their records. If it ends up in court, how else can a charter prove that they did check for cards and you did present them a card?

Screenshot > email > print

If you want, make the diver and op sign and date the print.
Simples.

If they were worried they could simply log into the padipro's site and have a look in about 2 minutes. Now that does assume that they are padi pros. However it's no different to judging the authenticity of any agency card. I've never seen a UTD card (and have only heard of them on here) I'd just have to assume it was legit. GUE cards look so home made it's not even funny - they look shocking.

But - you have to just take things at face value. If someone lies and get's hurt I'd have done my job.

Side Note - I worked in Thailand. You could buy padi cards on Khoa San Road easily - people even tried to sell me them. I had a look and they looked alright. They cost about $5-10 depending on which card.

Many of you are missing the point. It's not about what a charter could do or should do but the fact that some are still old-school and eschew electronic cards (and even payments).

If we are to assume honesty and take things at face value then no need to see a card of any kind. Just ask for their cert number like you do their phone number. You don't need to see a copy of their phone bill to prove their phone number, do you? Or better yet, forget the number and just ask them if they are certified. If they say Yes, you've done your job, right?

Screenshot > email > print

If you want, make the diver and op sign and date the print.
Simples.

I'm not asking for solutions that a charter could implement but telling you the methods I've seen charters impose.

So now a screen shot is ok? So much for it having to "live in the PADI app".

Tell ya what, next time you guys travel just leave your passport at home. When you have to pass though immigration just show the agent a pic on your phone of your passport or tell him to "look it up". If he balks explain that the physical passport could be faked up by your IT department as easily as a pic can be doctored. If that still doesn't sway him then gently pressure him to get with the times and lament how other places are ok with electronic id and how surprised you are that anyone would reject it. Enjoy your visit.

I'm not asking for solutions that a charter could implement but telling you the methods I've seen charters impose.

So now a screen shot is ok? So much for it having to "live in the PADI app".

Seriously? Did you really not consider the scenario where the Op checks the ecard and simply requests the diver email it for the files?

You can obfuscate as much as you like, but you've hit the nail on the head in your own post. The operators need to be educated. It's a competitive market, there is lots of choice. The issue is not ecard or traditional card. Provide a service that people want. Be awkward and people will find another service.

Tell ya what, next time you guys travel just leave your passport at home. When you have to pass though immigration just show the agent a pic on your phone of your passport or tell him to "look it up". If he balks explain that the physical passport could be faked up by your IT department as easily as a pic can be doctored. If that still doesn't sway him then gently pressure him to get with the times and lament how other places are ok with electronic id and how surprised you are that anyone would reject it. Enjoy your visit.

Unneeded and unwanted sarcasm aside, that is however what I do with my boarding pass.

Now your just being silly. PADI ecards are official PADI documents, they carry the same authority as the traditional plastic cards.

Now your just being silly. PADI ecards are official PADI documents, they carry the same authority as the traditional plastic cards.

They carry no authority at all. A charter can require one and reject the other if they choose. It may not make business sense but they can do it. Nothing you can do about it. Nothing PADI can do about.

Unneeded and unwanted sarcasm aside, that is however what I do with my boarding pass.

You do that with your boarding pass when the airport/airline allow you to do that. Try doing it on a Southwest international flight.

Where Is Mobile Boarding Pass Available?
Mobile boarding passes are now available at all U.S. airports Southwest serves. They're not currently available to Passengers traveling on international flights.
Mobile Boarding Pass | Southwest Airlines

Does Ryanair have a mobile boarding pass service?
Yes. We accept mobile boarding passes on flights from the majority of airports on our network.

However unfortunately some airports cannot accept mobile boarding passes yet, these airports are:

Agadir 

Essaouira

Fez

Nador

Oujda

Marrakesh

Rabat 

Tangier 

Kefalonia

Volos

Customers traveling from these airports must check in online and print out a paperboarding pass for their flight(s).

Official Ryanair website | Cheap flights in Europe | Ryanair

They carry no authority at all. A charter can require one and reject the other if they choose. It may not make business sense but they can do it. Nothing you can do about it. Nothing PADI can do about.

There is. You can tell the charter they are total idiots to their face. And then you can slate them on tripadvisor. You can also take your money elsewhere.

A diving business can say I need to dive in a bikini if they want. It doesn't mean I'll dive with them. I'd make the adult decision they are total morons and move on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom