PADI e-learning...how good is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerrybuilt

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi I am thinking about taking the padi e-learng coarse on line. I work 1 full time job and 2 part time jobs and I am on the fire dept so time is the issue. Is the E-learng a good way to go. How do experianced divers feel about it.

I am not experienced yet... but

The class I took the book work didn't really add that much to the class days. The class was before the pool sessions.

It was a weekend course were we did 2 pool days on saturday and sunday then 2 open water days the next sat and sun.

So yes the pool days were long -- 4 hours or so classroom then 8 hours in the pool

You would still be needing to do your pool dives so perhaps check with the dive shop and see if their teaching schedule will work with your schedule before just assuming the online will work better for you.

Of course everyone in the class has to read the book and complete all the chapter reviews prior to the first classroom and pool dives... so you need to work in that time but hey if you get the book a month in advance (like I did) you can find the time to get it done.

I'm not a fan of e-learning for things like scuba. You'll be dealing with a number of concepts that may be totally foreign to you, and without the teacher - student interaction may miss key points.

From a practical point of view, I don't think you'll save any time anyway, since you'll still have to do the confined water excercises.

I suggest you try to find an instructor willing to wotk around your schedule. One thing you might do is read the manuals through immediately on receiving them, and then use the class time as a review, fleshing out the material and dealing with any questions you might have.

Good luck

Learning to dive depends in large part on a close and supportive relationship between an instructor and student. With e-learning a large part of that is gone. I would not recommend it.

I was an early e-learning student. it worked well for me since I'm pretty self motivated and pick things up quickly. I did do the pool and OW through a LDS.

I liked the format and retained most all of the content. Just like anything else though it really comes down to what format of learning you prefer -and do well with.

Hey all, I done the E learning and found it Fantastic. I done it due to doing my open water while i was on Holiday so saved a bit of time that way. You still go though all your dives and testing when you do your OW and also a quick revision so the instructors know that you understand what you have learnt. Acutally i have just signed up my Partner so she can do the online course and then her OW when we go to thailand next year. Good luck

It probably depends on the student and their level of comprehension. I did it online, (started it while on vacation) and found it to cover everything the classroom does. The downside would be the inability to ask questions, but on the other hand you can go at your own pace and if you don't understand something you are able to go back and review the material again. It has videos, quick reviews, chapter tests, and a final test. When you take your completed course to a LDS you will still have to take another test, I think it was about 10 questions. Another down side to it, is the cost. Padi does not share this revenue with the LDS and you will probably still pay full price for the rest of the water portion of the course.
I would guess I spent 10 plus hours completing the course online.

Bruce

At later stages of SCUBA learning, such as working through the Dive Master or Instructor program, the mantra is "pre-study everything before you go to classes, take all the quizzes, do all the reading"... then go to the standard classroom sessions.

Your instructor will then ascertain if you got it or didn't. It's really pretty simple.

This may have been designed as a way to free-up the usual classroom lectures on the week nights. Or... maybe the just figured out that if presented properly, most folks will absorb this and not be forced to sit cross-eyed listening to it being taught at the lowest common denominator.

It's the book learnin' portion. Would you rather read it yourself and test out of it, or would you rather go to a classroom and do it?

If you have the time, I'd go to class. If you are honestly stretched that thin that you don't have the time for evening classroom sessions, consider it.

I think if you are good at grasping concepts, it's a pretty decent tool. I did all my classroom work through the e-learning program (i.e. we didn't have structured classroom sessions), then talked with the instructor to clear anything I didn't quite get (or more accurately, things I didn't get why....a lot of times, they say things you're supposed to do, but don't explain why....for example, it mentions a bunch of times in there that you need to have your weight belt set up for right hand release, but never explained WHY). So if you're pretty good at grasping new concepts and are proactive enough to ask questions about things that didn't quite stick, then I think it's a pretty good tool.

Besides, you will still do all the skills portion in the confined and open water dives. You can learn mental concepts without having someone tell them to you, but you cannot learn how to dive by watching a video. If the e-learning was a whole certification course in itself, I'm sure no one would recommend it (or even consider doing it).

I kinda did both.
Classroom at my LDS required me to read through chapter 4 or 5 of the book and work through all the self tests and stuff before the classes. The e-learning is much better for this. But what's missing is the ability to ask questions and interact with others.
I will add that the e-learning is great for working at your own pace. I finished it all in a few days. The classes may have been slowed down by other students with problems grasping some concept you may have found simple. This would have bored me & that has traditionally been bad for me way back when I was in school.
As an IT professional I will add that the software is first rate, easy to use and very thorough. If you need to get it done quickly like I did, then it is the only way to go. Remember you will have time and opportunity to talk to your dive instructor about anything you may want some more clarification on. At least I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom