PADI e-learning...how good is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just started my online certification course, though it's SDI, not PADI. I agree with some of the other posters on here about it being ideal for quick learners. So far, the material hasn't been at all difficult, and I know that if i do have trouble with something, I can always call my LDS. I think because so many of us are joined to our computers by the hip (at least I am), it just seems natural to learn something that way - at least initially. I kinda look at the pool sessions as the place to reinforce the concepts learned online, and of course asking the instructor questions (which I definitely will!). Just my 2 cents.

I did the PADI E-learner program, and I thought it was an excellent program. As a technical trainer in for a semiconductor company, I am responsible for some web training development, and what PADI has developed is first rate. There's a great combination of text, audio, video and animations to help keep a person interested. Additionally, the knowledge reviews really help reinforce the material.

An added benefit, once you're done, you'll still have access to all the multimedia material through PADI's website.

I wouldnt recommend E-learining if you dont have the slightest clue on what SCUBA stands for, aka super noob, you're going to have A LOT of questions and don't ignore asking your shop for help because then SCUBA is a dangerous sport if you're not fully aware of what COULD happen.

But if you feel comfortable in the water, you've done some research and your have confidence in yourself. Go for it.

I took scuba lessons a long time ago but failed (12 years old and stupid), i went E-learning this Summer and got certified with Private instruction late september (weird schedule conflicts). I'm diving every weekend and have some of the best scuba friends that are always gung ho to go diving.

I like the system, it's a lifestyle choice. People learn and communicate right now, as we do on this forum. The PC or Mac is now an "normal way of life". Interaction between student and instructor goes on in the same way too, but by phone, email or messenger. You pay a bit more to, but the pay back is more vacation or weekend time to dive, rather than school.:D

My only thought about the e-learning classes is the amount of time you spend in the water over a two day period for the confined water classes. My LDS does e-learning weekends where those that took the e-learning session complete all of the confined water skills sessions. I thought this was trying to cram to much into a weekend. I much preferred learning the in water skills over 3 weeks instead of two days. Maybe is comes with being old and not quite as spry as I was at 20 years old.

Rick

I did the e-learning so I could complete it on my on time and I don't live real near the dive shop. It was fine and I did get 100% on the test, however, if doing it over again, I would choose the classroom learning. Everyone is different though.

I did the e-learning classes, and I did great! The only down side is the books and tables are "virtual" so it is online instead of a physical. I was motivated and did the online stuff in two days.

You still will have to do the confined and open water dives but that only takes 4 days.

If you are a self learner and have great computer skills I would do it. But you are probley going to be paying more thank if you take the class with an instructor.

I did the E-learning because I was pretty far away from any local dive shops (Iraq) and I wanted something to keep me motivated through some tough times. I took my time with it, and transcribed notes in a MS Word file. When I got back, I called my LDS and asked my instructor to go over everything before I got to the pool sessions. I was easily the most knowledgeable person in my class, and it wasn't because I was smart. It was because I had a long time to review and retain that knowledge, the people I went to the pool sessions with had only had the books for like a week. That software throws a lot of interactive things at you that you don't get with the paper book, and it has tons of video and audio presentations in it. I've done advanced and nitrox since then, and watched instructors teach students for open water. I still think the best training I have received was the E-learning.

I did the e-learning classes, and I did great! The only down side is the books and tables are "virtual" so it is online instead of a physical. I was motivated and did the online stuff in two days.

You still will have to do the confined and open water dives but that only takes 4 days.

If you are a self learner and have great computer skills I would do it. But you are probley going to be paying more thank if you take the class with an instructor.

I would also second Dennis' comment and go on the internet and pick up an RDP and used open water book that way you can reference it later on when you are qualified. I did that, and it helped.

you paid more???

My dive shop took off $100 cause I took the course online, no classroom stuff was needed, no books, etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom