PADI gave member info to US Government

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwater daphne:
wow, this subject has gone way outta hand. i've had enough and can't be bothered to read the newer posts after my last one. we'll never find a way to see both sides as two right sides and we're all starting to talk nonsense now. before more hate is spread let's go diving. :)

Why do you repeatedly feel the need to announce that you are done posting in a thread, only to reappear and make the same tired announcements?

I note that you still haven't explained why you support the child murderers at Beslan or why you believe that 9/11 was appropriate.

underwater daphne:
wow, this subject has gone way outta hand. i've had enough and can't be bothered to read the newer posts after my last one. we'll never find a way to see both sides as two right sides and we're all starting to talk nonsense now. before more hate is spread let's go diving. :)

Dear Daphne,

I note that a thread is NOT considered "out of hand" as long as you are allowed to express your ideas! When someone takes you to task for such things as expressing support for child murderers, as you did in your posts above,---(Quote from Underwater Daphne: "Beslan? Do you know how the russians have been treating them for many years?")---then suddenly the thread is "out of hand". Truly amzing how that works!

It is "out of hand" in your mind, evidently, when we ask you to explain how you think ANYTHING justifies shooting children in the back as they flee from bomb blasts!

(Again, quote from Underwater Daphne: "wow, this subject has gone way outta hand. i've had enough and can't be bothered to read the newer posts after my last one. we'll never find a way to see both sides as two right sides and we're all starting to talk nonsense now. before more hate is spread let's go diving.")

Absolutely NOTHING can convince me that there is anything "right side-ed" about cowardly b*****ds who shoot children in the back. If that is what you think, then you are deeply disturbed. If you actually support these animals, then you are as dangerous as the ones with the bombs and guns!

BJD :usa:

underwater daphne:
Originally Posted by underwater daphne---
wow, this subject has gone way outta hand. i've had enough and can't be bothered to read the newer posts after my last one. we'll never find a way to see both sides as two right sides and we're all starting to talk nonsense now. before more hate is spread let's go diving.
BigJetDriver69:
Dear Daphne,

I note that a thread is NOT considered "out of hand" as long as you are allowed to express your ideas! When someone takes you to task for such things as expressing support for child murderers, as you did in your posts above,---(Quote from Underwater Daphne: "Beslan? Do you know how the russians (sic) have been treating them for many years?")---then suddenly the thread is "out of hand". Truly amazing how that works!

It is "out of hand" in your mind, evidently, when we ask you to explain how you think ANYTHING justifies shooting children in the back as they flee from bomb blasts!

(Again, quote from Underwater Daphne: "wow, this subject has gone way outta hand. i've had enough and can't be bothered to read the newer posts after my last one. we'll never find a way to see both sides as two right sides and we're all starting to talk nonsense now. before more hate is spread let's go diving.")

Absolutely NOTHING can convince me that there is anything "right side-ed" about cowardly b*****ds who shoot children in the back. If that is what you think, then you are deeply disturbed. If you actually support these animals, then you are as dangerous as the ones with the bombs and guns!

BJD :usa:

We will be waiting for your explanation!!!

BJD

robstrash:
I had not read this before so it was news to me. Here is an article from MSNBC about how PADI, without a warrant, voluntarily gave personal information about all members to the FBI.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5737239/

And the worst part is that they even say they would do it again!
PADI wasn't the only agency to turn over records. I am very active at ANDI HQ and after 9/11 they were visited by the FBI. They asked for copies of ALL diver records and were refused. A short time later, the FBI showed up agin requesting records again. ANDI refused again citing HQ's agreement with its facilities (and potential privacy issues since ANDI HQ has the records for many other countries as well) not to release records on students unless required to do so, no subpoenas were ever issued.. The agents stated, ALL OTHER AGENCIES complied with their requests (don;t know if its a true statment or not just what was stated). ANDI did not.. Eventually a deal was worked out that they would have to request specific info (not complete records) and that they would be able to view the requested information, not make copies of student files without a legally binding request.

robstrash:
I had not read this before so it was news to me. Here is an article from MSNBC about how PADI, without a warrant, voluntarily gave personal information about all members to the FBI.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5737239/

And the worst part is that they even say they would do it again!

I can't speak for why PADI does some of the things they do, but established businesses politely suggest that they follow the rules when requesting information; request the courtesly of a subpoena. I do this several times a year, inside and outside the US. In my experience law enforcement respects this and politely play by the rules when asked to do so. I understand and respect how a small shop could get strong armed, but there is no excuse for PADI.

As to the FBI' the whole 'grab what you can strategy' strikes me as a self-defeating and unproductive use of limited law enforcement resources. In litigation, a 'rambo' tactic of abusive discovery is to bury an opponent in useless information that they'll have to squander valuable time sifting through with virtually no prospect of gain. I'd like to believe the whole crisis is being managed more intelligently than this. I'd REALLY like to believe that is true.

Wow, I'd really crossed over to ANDI years ago for their common sense, easy to understand (for me) approaches to diving and diving skill progression. Now another good reason is revealed - common sense to individual liberty. Thanks for letting us know!

Back
Top Bottom