PADI Jr. Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Junior MSD at 12, aye caramba.

Well, the requirements aren't very high for adults either. If he can do the Jr AOW and Jr Rescue plus the requisite specialties, why not?

That Rescue thing might be problematic in terms of first aid/CPR. I'm not sure that the Red Cross offers the course to kids. He could always take the PADI version, I suppose.

Don't forget the PADI Seal Team (aged 8). My son starts his next Saturday. He couldn't wait until he turned 10.

Absolutely outstanding! I bet he will have a blast!

Specialties list is a bit odd. Can't imagine stuffing a 10 year old into a drysuit, but equally, can't see any compelling reason why they shouldn't be allowed to use a DPV.

He's a big kid: 5'5" and 120# The problem is that he is still growing. Any drysuit I bought would soon be too small. I'm sure he could learn the skills.

Richard

That Rescue thing might be problematic in terms of first aid/CPR. I'm not sure that the Red Cross offers the course to kids. He could always take the PADI version, I suppose.
I think Red Cross age requirements vary by chapter/location, but from:
http://www.redcross.org/portal/site...110VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default
Red Cross Preparedness programs in first aid, CPR and AED are available for any age and can be tailored to the needs of specific groups and individuals.
American Heart has no minimum age for their CPR class:
Support Forums: Is there an age requirement to take a CPR class?

To answer your original question, this is what is written in the instructor manual:

"Junior Open Water Divers or Junior Scuba Divers may upgrade their certification level to PADI Open Water Diver or Scuba Diver when they reach the age of 15 with no additional requirements... If more than one year has passed since the diver earned the Junior certification, when requesting an upgrade, it is recommended that the diver complete a Scuba review program."

Last edited:
To answer your original question, this is what is written in the instructor manual:

"Junior Open Water Divers or Junior Scuba Divers may upgrade their certification level to PADI Open Water Diver or Scuba Diver when they reach the age of 15 with no additional requirements... If more than one year has passed since the diver earned the Junior certification, when requesting an upgrade, it is recommended that the diver complete a Scuba review program."

And this really gets to the crux of the problem I see with Junior Open Water: do the kids really UNDERSTAND the concepts or are they just memorizing the info for the test? In fact, I can extend my concerns from 10 year old kids all the way up to young adults around 18. It seems to me, as a non-instructor, the a deep understanding of the physics of diving just can't come along until the diver reaches a higher educational level and develops abstract thought processes.

Sure, they can regurgitate the information. But can they make abstract decisions based on their knowledge? What to do...

I have actually been thinking that, in addition to the PADI specialties and AOW/Rescue, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start over at OW with a different agency. Start at the beginning. Certainly, in terms of GUE, my grandson couldn't even start until he was 18(?). But he could do the NAUI program at some point. It turns out that NAUI isn't well represented in our area but that's a detail. I would imagine there are NAUI shops around Monterey somewhere.

For the next couple of years, it will be sufficient for him to accumulate a little experience and a few specialties. When he turns 12 there are additional opportunities.

We'll just have to see how it goes...

Richard

I kind of understand your thought process on this, and assuming he will move on to higher education I can agree even with some of the statements. However, I happen to have met quite a few people that prove age has nothing to do with being able to grasp MORE DIFFICULT concepts of things like physics and physiology. It really has more to do with education than age, as you also hint to above.

Being a PADI Junior diver of any type requires diving with a legal guardian, or a PADI DM or higher. Part of the reason being exactly what you are stating above. I can tell you, maybe as more the exception than the rule, my schooling gave me the ability to understand all the physics required, of even what I learned as an instructor, by about 10th grade. If you understand rational expressions, as learned in 9th grade algebra, then you have the mathmatical ability. Now all you need to do is develop the problem solving abilities.

Now having said this, to be an Open Water Diver do I really need to be able to calculate, "What will be the volume of air in a balloon at 10 meters if the same balloon contains 2 liters of air at 30 meters?" Really I do not. I just need to be able to undestand that as I go up, the pressure decreases causing the air in my lungs to expand. That's why I need to keep exhaling or breathing. I also need to understand the RDP so I can plan my dive. By having the dive tables to use, this really requires little more knowledge than how to add and subtract.

Diving families,

Both my children were certified by PADI at age 12, before the age limit was lowered to 10. Both were very strong swimmers and extremely comfortable in the water. The classroom portion was not a problem for either. Both became competent divers and enjoy diving very much. My son pursued addditional training over time and is a MSD. My daughter has been content to remain an experienced OWD. Both upgraded their C-cards at age 15. My son is now 23 and my daughter is 19. My wife was certified at the same time as our daughter, we all enjoy our family diving adventures immensely. The system has worked very well for us, good luck to all pursuing a similar path.

Good diving, Craig

Or just let the dive boat shop etc know your over 15 and you are qualified as an openwater diver most boats realise its just an age restriction.

Jason
Padi Instructor

From personal experience, you may want to check with the dive operator first. Several years ago, we were diving in Key Largo. The dive operator that we used would not let my 17 year old nephew make a 60 to 100 foot dive because his C-card had not been upgraded from a Jr Ow to OW. It did not matter that he had recent logged dives to that depth range, that he was diving with his father, or that the previous day we made a 55+ foot dive with them. The ONLY reason was because of the Jr on his card. With different operators the previous and subsequent years, we did not have that issue.

Enjoy the diving with your grandson!

The Underwater Naturalist course is one of my favourites to teach and is great for enabling divers to be more aware of their surroundings, what they are looking at and a general healthy respect for the enviroment.....

Last edited:
The Underwater Naturalist course is one of my favourites to teach and is great for enabling divers to be more aware of their surroundings, what they are looking at and a general healthy respect for the enviroment.

I would consider this course if I knew the instructor had a sufficient background. I haven't asked around but I will.

My goal in having my grandson start diving is to get him closer to science. In my view, diving is just transportation. I am certain his views vary...

But he really likes the decorator crabs.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom