PADI logged dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Ranger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When it comes to PADI, what do they count as a Logged dive, they require so many logged dives for you to start Rescue diver course and have so may by the time you're done, the same for Master Scuba diver and DiveMaster. you have to have like 50-60 logged dives. So what makes a logged dive count, do the 4 dives of your OW cert count, the five dives of the adventure/advance cert count, can my run-of-the mill dive buddy sign my log book? I followed along with my son's OW class, do these dive count as far as PADI is concerned??? What counts as a logged dive??? Do training dives count?

Yes, all those dives count.

I was told any dive in which you are 15' for 15mins... I dont know if thats the truth but its what I follow to guide me. I dont log pools...

Here is what page 16 of the current handbook says:

Logged Dives
To credit as a logged dive for course requirements, the dive
takes place in open water and specific information about the
dive (i.e. date, time, location, depth, profile, etc.) is recorded.
Training dives for PADI courses (in open water or a controlled
environment) qualify as logged dives.​

Page 18 has the requirements for OW training dives:

6. During open water dives, have divers spend the majority
of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least
1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain
submerged for at least 20 minutes.​

Note that this second requirement is only for training dives and does not apply to logging your personal dives.

Just use some integrity and only log real dives. "Teabagging" is a derogatory term for people who go in and out of the water for a minimum depth and time in order to accumulate a large number of dives. Please don't do that. Please try to accumulate real experience in real dive sites so that the number means something.

There are other agencies that do not require you to wait that long. I like my rescue students to have ten dives post OW but then they have had a few rescue skills in the OW class including unconscious diver from depth, panicked diver, rescue tow while stripping gear, and supporting a diver at the surface and assisting them getting positive. Making students wait for rescue skills is IMO not wise if those divers are expected to dive without a professional. And this goes for all students including jr divers. I make sure to have my jr divers perform all these rescues on me and on their parent if that's who they will be diving with.

The idea with waiting that many dives is to not task overload a new diver and let them gain more experence diving. New divers should be diving with more experenced buddies anyway! But if you are teabagging then your not gaining experence. Look into your shops we run PADI discover local diving trips as well as fun dive sundays! Also if there are local dive clubs in your area there shouldnt be any problem getting legit dives! Usually the bar we try and hold people to around here is 15feet/15 minutes/or 1500psi

Yes they all count, as long as its not in a pool and is longer than I think 15mins. All of those do count.

And if you are a diver of any salt with some frequency you
will become known, to the relevant agency representatives
who are able to gauge when you are competent enough for
progression to the next stage, of an illustrious diving curve
without any documentation at all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom