PADI logged dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if you are a diver of any salt with some frequency you
will become known, to the relevant agency representatives
who are able to gauge when you are competent enough for
progression to the next stage, of an illustrious diving curve
without any documentation at all

Problem with that is padi requires it as a cover your ass sorta deal. I dont disagree that the number of logged dives has no real bearing on a lot of peoples skills ha ha but i do what they tells me!

Alright, I can't resist. Why is teabagging being used to describe logging dives?
When you make tea, you put a tea bag in a cup for a few minutes and then take it out.

When people are trying to reach a total number of dives for some purpose related to number rather than quality (like the minimum number of dives required to be a DM), they may choose to do the same--enter the water for a minimum depth and time, come out, have a short surface interval, go back in for that minimum depth and time, come out, have a short surface interval...

They can thereby rack up the required number of dives in a hurry without actually getting any real experience that way.

When you make tea, you put a tea bag in a cup for a few minutes and then take it out.

When people are trying to reach a total number of dives for some purpose related to number rather than quality (like the minimum number of dives required to be a DM), they may choose to do the same--enter the water for a minimum depth and time, come out, have a short surface interval, go back in for that minimum depth and time, come out, have a short surface interval...

They can thereby rack up the required number of dives in a hurry without actually getting any real experience that way.

John, has anyone ever cracked up when you call this teabagging? I mean I'm not known for a dirty mind, sometimes I say things that I don't even know could be miscontrued. Just try googling and you'll see why maybe we should pick a different term. How about drive-thru diving, or dunk tank diving, or turnstyle diving? Turnstyle gating?

John, has anyone ever cracked up when you call this teabagging? I mean I'm not known for a dirty mind, sometimes I say things that I don't even know could be miscontrued. Just try googling and you'll see why maybe we should pick a different term. How about drive-thru diving, or dunk tank diving, or turnstyle diving? Turnstyle gating?
I did not invent the term. It has been around for a while.

So none of my Aquarium dives will count - though they are deeper than 15', last up to 45 min. in a tank, have to change out bottles between tanks, need better than average buoyancy control, and water temps are 47f to 60f. I dove over 20 days in the last year and while the majority of divers in my area pack their gear for the winter - I see an chance to work on my skills. I'm okay with that because I dive for me and not some agency.

I certainly laughed pretty hard when this term was first brought up in relation to diving. Makes sense though and even when you think of it "the other way" it's even funnier because it's derogatory as hell. Great phrase. Love it!!! :D

"That dive doesn't count, you old teabagger" :rofl3:

I would count them. An Aquarium is a unique diving environment compared to a 8-12' pool.

So none of my Aquarium dives will count - though they are deeper than 15', last up to 45 min. in a tank, have to change out bottles between tanks, need better than average buoyancy control, and water temps are 47f to 60f. I dove over 20 days in the last year and while the majority of divers in my area pack their gear for the winter - I see an chance to work on my skills. I'm okay with that because I dive for me and not some agency.

Aquarium dives are usually considered logable.

The agencies even have certifications for aquarium divers. Confined Environment Diver, or Contained Environment Diver - something like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom