padi open water certification question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

siegelreptiles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey board---looking for a little help.

Had a friend sign up for the padi online certification. It prompts you to pick a local shop when doing so so he called and spoke to one local to him and they told him it would be $170. He figured he could handle $295($170 plus the $120 online course fee) so he signed up online and started to do the course. He is about half way finished and today we decided to run over to the store so he could meet the people there where he signed up. Well, in person that $170 changed real quick. It was $170 if you bought a bunch of gear from them that he already has, if not it was $370---this is in addition to the $120 he already paid for the online course. She then went on to say it would cost him approx $70 to rent regs and bcs in addition to that as well. I then jumped in and asked her if the price at least included the 4 boat dives and she said yes, but then paused and said that boat dives were not guaranteed and that they may in fact be beach dives. The woman was short with us and we politely said thank you and left.
Seemed way out of line, and my friend is not a rich guy, but would really like to be certified and is on his way, but we need to find a padi instuctor who can reasonably finish his pool dives and 4 open water dives after he completes his online course.
Any help would be much appreciated. I have to say that it was pretty crummy the hole bait and switch deal from that store.

Post where you are located and I am sure you will find offers from local instructors.

I live in broward county---coconut creek--

Orlando--are you a police officer?_-I think I have dove with you in jupiter

Go over to Pro Dive and see Genevieve. Tell her military Phil sent you and they will take care of you. They can probably see about transferring your online portion to a classroom portion or work with you so you dont get raped. They are really fair and will treat you very well over there

sorry to hear about your unfortunate events...I just pm'd you some info, I am a PADI instructor and tech diver...no need for overpricing, which shop was it?

There are way to many shops down here to have to suffer such bait and switch, but more important than the price you're paying for the class is going with a shop or an instructor who will start you off right.

Recently there was a thread where basically the same question was posed so I'll refer you to my suggestion.

I'll give you two instructors and both are members here on the board and can be contacted easily:
The first one is Kevin or Scubakevdm he's up in your neck of the woods and runs Underwater Explorers. Extremely dedicated and all around great guy! Check out The Boynton Dive Chronicles.

The second one is Wes or Wetdawg, I couldn't recommend him more highly and he has a world of knowledge not to mention he teaches for multiple agencies. He's down here in Ft. Lauderdale.

I hope this helps you.

Wes is a PADI instructor and I can't recall if Kevin is or isn't with PADI. Regardless, they are both excellent IMO. I would contact them and see if they can help you.

The Bridge @ Cordova is a small crew hotel in Fort Lauderdale. We offer the PADI Open Water course for $150 for registered guests. That includes the materials, gear, tanks and transportation to the beach. We do not include boat dives for that price.

Michael
Bridge @ Cordova

The Bridge @ Cordova is a small crew hotel in Fort Lauderdale. We offer the PADI Open Water course for $150 for registered guests. That includes the materials, gear, tanks and transportation to the beach. We do not include boat dives for that price.

Michael
Bridge @ Cordova

Michael,

Do you accept pets??
I know a captain that needs three weeks of accommodations in FLL but he has a dog.

Your OW course sounds like an awesome deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom