PADI Open Water DVD - FREE (only pay shipping)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am doing some spring cleaning and found a PADI Open Water Diver Video DVD, Rev. 07/11, Version 2.04. It's in English, Spanish and French. This is the video that goes along with the book for Padi's Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver programs. The video is not required, but it does help those who want to review or are more visual learners.

I'll send it to whomever wants it, just pay the actual USPS shipping from Indiana. Ideally I would get it to someone who is looking to get into diving.

Just wanted to get in my good deed for the week and hopefully introduce someone to diving:wink:

Please respond to the thread or PM me if interested.

Buyer beware.

I apologize to the OP for this, but while it is perfectly ok for the seller to be selling his old videos, anyone who signs up for an OW course will be required to buy (or at least pay for) a new copy anyway, even if you already own a 2nd hand copy.

I suspect the seller wasn't aware of this.

If it's fair for PADI to demand this or not is another discussion but the big picture here is that PADI is essentially a publishing company and they actively resist the creation of a market and/or circulation of 2nd hand materials. They make money by selling new copies of their materials ... so everyone is forced to buy new when they sign up for OW.

The point being that if you are considering taking OW then this may not be a good way to save a few bucks. Ultimately, you'll end up paying for the videos twice.

R..

Buyer beware.

I apologize to the OP for this, but while it is perfectly ok for the seller to be selling his old videos, anyone who signs up for an OW course will be required to buy (or at least pay for) a new copy anyway, even if you already own a 2nd hand copy.

I suspect the seller wasn't aware of this.

If it's fair for PADI to demand this or not is another discussion but the big picture here is that PADI is essentially a publishing company and they actively resist the creation of a market and/or circulation of 2nd hand materials. They make money by selling new copies of their materials ... so everyone is forced to buy new when they sign up for OW.

The point being that if you are considering taking OW then this may not be a good way to save a few bucks. Ultimately, you'll end up paying for the videos twice.

R..

Maybe PADI Europe requires every diver to buy the DVD but it isn't required in the states. It's only required that they watch the video. The dive shop can have the whole class sit down and watch the shop's copy of it if they want to.

By the way, that is the old video, PADI released a new one with the new curriculum. Some shops are still teaching the old curriculum but probably won't be for much longer and then that video will no longer meet course requirements.

Last edited:
I will double check. It would seem odd that the rules would differ from region to region. Perhaps I'm the one off base here.

Your second point is also valid.

R..

From the instructor manual:

Standards and Procedures
Ensure that student divers have a personal set of current PADI materials for study and use during the course and for reference afterward, to include, at a minimum, the course manual (book, digital or app version) unless unavailable in a language understood by the student diver. Ensure that student divers have a log book.

Open Water Diver course standards
Materials
• PADI Open Water Diver Manual
• Log book
Student divers must view the PADI Open Water Diver Video and each diver must use the PADI Skill Practice and Dive Planning Slate during confined and open water dives.
If student divers will learn to use the RDP table or eRDPML, the corresponding Instructions for Use booklet is required (appropriate to the student diver’s personal dive planner).

The shop I work with does not require students to buy their own copy of the DVD, just the book and they must have a log book but it doesn't have to be one that PADI sells. We have never gotten any questions from PADI about how we are certifying so many people without purchasing videos to supply to them.

Last edited:
I wasn't required to buy the video, but I bought it since my wife and I were both studying at the same time. We were only required to buy the books.

In observing other individuals getting certified in other countries at dive resorts (Caribbean), I haven't seen anyone required to buy the video there either.

It's definitely possible that this is an older version, but it should only be around $5 for shipping.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2014 at 03:06 PM ----------

I found a home for the DVD...i'ts no longer available. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom