PADI or SDI Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I swear this isn't a troll and I'm not trying to start a religious war.

I was going to start DM training in January, 2012, but now I want to move it up. My LDS offers SDI and PADI DM and Instructor training. I'm not sure which agency to use for my DM certification. I've got all my recreational diving certificates through PADI and my technical diving certificates through NAUI.

What should I look for?

If you are primarily going to use your DM in Washington DC, then I would say just pick one. It would be a different story if you were trying to eek out a living (abet a very small one) in the Caribbean. There I would say PADI is dominant and their DM credential would help in getting a job. Just currious, why not NAUI? Either way, dive safe and have fun!

Which one is easiest to transfer over to after you earn the first?

Both excellent programs, but PADI dominates the world in terms of recreational diving employment opportunities

Ask the shop. They have a reason for offering both. Maybe why they are SDI and PADI will help you decide which direction you want to go.

It really depends on the shop you like working with. It is easy enough to cross over from one agency to another. I was in the same boat as you, my open water was PADI, my professional certs were NAUI, my tech certs were TDI. When I found a shop that I liked (SDI) I did the instructor crossover. Honestly, I like the SDI materials better than PADIs or NAUIs.

Ask the shop. They have a reason for offering both. Maybe why they are SDI and PADI will help you decide which direction you want to go.

I really like the shop but most of their students are SDI. I cannot work with SDI students if I'm a PADI DM candidate so I won't have much opportunity to work with students unless I went with SDI. I've got no problem with SDI but most of my certifications are with PADI and I want PADI DM, AI and Instructor certifications because most of my diving is in the Caribbean and that is where I want to move eventually. I didn't want to go with SDI with the thought that I would then have to complete a cross-over program. Also, my shop only sells brand A equipment. I own brand X equipment (purchased prior to associating myself with the shop) so I would have to buy brand A equipment to work as a DM candidate at the shop.

I finally decided to go with my PADI Rescue Diver instructor; a shop independent, old-school PADI Master Instructor. I'm currently working with seven PADI Rescue students as well as AOW and OW students twice a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom