PADI OW Cert Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigmak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for recommendation for locations (LDS's/instructors) for my son to complete his OW cert. He has completed his classroom and confined dives in February and itching to finish and does not want to wait until the quarries in Ohio get warm (or at least above 55f) again.

I assume you are looking to do this in Florida since you posted in "Florida Conch Divers". My strong recommendation is for Sandy at www.oceanquestscuba.com in West Palm Beach. She did my OW through DM and certified my 14 year old neice two years ago. She is amazing with kids and is a blast to dive with. Owning her own dive charter boat is a plus too.

Taking all my kids to key largo in June. I think it is a great place to finish certs because fairly shallow and lots to see. Less 'freak out' factor, good vis etc.
My sister and freind both got certified there and it's nice because you usually get one instructor per student in hotel pool. we really like it's a dive at key largo marriott. I have gone with others, but I like hotel, location of dive shop and service. Others have longer walk etc. Your family can be at pool or bar or dive shop - it's all close. I like leaving dive stuff in their lockers, makes it really handy with several people diving especially kids!!

Key Largo is excellent for getting your certification dives in. My wife and I live in Lafayette, LA and the LDS here does their certification dives in Destin, FL. It's the closest place to Lafayette with decently warm water and visability. But we checked the averages (for last June in our case) and both the water temps and viz were head and shoulders above Destin. So, we just combined our summer vacation with our certification dives. Loved it. Besides the warm water and viz in Key Largo, the shallow reefs are wonderful, don't have to worry about strong currents, etc. The only other place you could feel safer is in the pool. In fact, we went back to get our AOW certification there. Going back in June for 10 days of diving, of course all our vacations now are dive vacations. We Love The Keys!

bigmak:
Looking for recommendation for locations (LDS's/instructors) for my son to complete his OW cert. He has completed his classroom and confined dives in February and itching to finish and does not want to wait until the quarries in Ohio get warm (or at least above 55f) again.

Contact Brent or Gary at Blue Water Divers in Key Largo. Brent is a great guy both to dive with and in general. He's been instructing for over 10 years. He can also help out with accommodations, and once your son is OW certified, I'd say take advantage of the trip to the Keys to put few dives on that new card!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom