PADI ReActivate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the online course and pool session a couple years ago after a long break from diving. I liked the online lessons and caught up with some things that had changed and some things I had forgotten. I did not get a lot out of the pool session, but I swim regularly and have always been very comfortable in the water.

The bad thing about the PADI online course is that it expires after a year and you can no longer access the material.

That's a little annoying, but at least it will make me focus and do it. My original open water materials were not online, do you know if that resource expires after a period of time as well?

Other PADI pros, correct me if I am wrong - if you use the PADI app on iPad or Android, the paid materials are your to keep on your own devise.

A refresher can be lined up at pretty much any shop. It doesn't have to be PADI either ... the regulator retrieval, mask clearing and OOA emergency skills are sufficiently interchangeable. Refreshers are a good idea, IMO. And as others have mentioned, many resorts or shops require a "recent" dive or a refresher prior to being taken on their boat.

The degree to which you need a refresher varies tremendously from one individual to another. I once had a class with 6 people, 4 of whom really didn't need it and 2 of whom should have taken the entire course over again.

I once had a refresher student who (with one glaring exception) clearly did not need the refresher from the very start. Once I saw her excellent performance in the water, I suggested it would be a better use of our time to work on more advanced skills, and she was quite happy with that decision. We worked on non-silting kicks the rest of the way.

I do want to talk about that one glaring exception, though. She had all her own equipment, and it was all pretty expensive stuff. When she put it all together, turned on her air, and looked at her air integrated computer to check the pressure, she said that the computer had analyzed the mix of the gas the shop had supplied and determined it was 32% nitrox. I told her that, no, her computer was still set for 32% from the last time she had set it, but the tank had only air in it. She insisted. I finally got through to her by explaining that the shop was not going to give her 32% for a pool refresher course; the shop did not have the ability to make nitrox in any percentage; I was the only employee of the shop that had the certification, knowledge, and equipment to make nitrox; and I did not put nitrox in her tank. At some point in the past, she had gotten 32% for a dive and had set her computer for it. She had assumed everything she had used after that was 32% because that is what her computer had said. It is possible that she had always requested 32% on her dives and so was reasonably close each time, but maybe not.

The point of that story is that this very good recreational diver had a glaring hole in her knowledge base as a result of her layoff, and it was a misunderstanding that really could have killed her. If she had dived a tank of air to the full limits of EANx 32, she may have gotten a very serious case of DCS.

Personally, I am apprehensive of recommending against formalized training--be it initial, sustaining, or refreshing; more so if I don't know the person.

I did a pool refresher and a couple of dive picnics when I was coming back into diving after a break. I think if you were a fairly serious diver and were just going to be recreationally diving, that and some reading would be enough (it was for me). If you are going to be getting more serious, then more serious review would be in order.

If you only had a few dives ten years ago, then starting from scratch might be a better idea. Looking at it from the perspective of how comfortable were you when you left. I was free diving through my entire break, so I was never really that far from the water

Why do they issue a new cert card when the course is completed? Isn't the divers old c-card good enough?

Back
Top Bottom