PADI rescue course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my take on Rescue having accomplished it about a month ago-

1. relax - don't be in a hurry; you'll only stress yourself out and possibly forget to do something.
2. rescue breaths
a. in the water is harder than it looks
b. it's even harder if you try to use the mask
3. what you learn is something all divers should know

1. Undo the waist clip and cummerbund velcro last when towing an unconscious diver to shore. When removing the gear, I found it stabilized the victim on their back.

2. When you tell someone to call 911, tell them to also get and ETA and report back to you. That was a tip from a DM who was our victim for the open water. I thought it was a great idea.

3. Perhaps ask if you can do a practice open water session before your final open water session with the rescue scenarios. We dive cold water here and the difference between the pool in a shorty and the ocean in our full dry/wetsuits with gloves, hoods, etc. was incredible. My comment to my LDS was adding a "practice" open water session would have been very beneficial for me, personally.

4. Either re-take the class annually or volunteer as victim for other classes to keep up to date. As a victim, you may observe/experience other techniques and if nothing else, it'll be a good time.

Have fun and good luck.

SLOW is SMOOTH ... SMOOTH is FAST.

Last edited:
Had an army combat medic show me a trick in my rescue pool session. not sure padi approves it but it sure worked.!! when instructor goes postal on you, push back, go under water, and let him calm down, remember, it's training and a pool. then come up and grab his foot and twist like hell. he will turn so fast his head will spend. then lock knees around his tank and do what you were trained to do. he will say, what the hell was that!! just smile and say nothing.

have fun

Actually, my PADI rescue instructor taught just this, other than we used legs, not feet as you already mentioned. It is really simple to spin around to the back and grab someone's tank with you knees. While I'm sure it's not impossible, I think it would be hard to hurt someone's knees with the little force you are actually applying. Also as already said, in open water, there is very little reaction force on the victim's knees. Mostly you are doing a combination of spinning the victim and pulling yourself around the back.

Mike

Actually, my PADI rescue instructor taught just this, other than we used legs, not feet as you already mentioned. It is really simple to spin around to the back and grab someone's tank with you knees. While I'm sure it's not impossible, I think it would be hard to hurt someone's knees with the little force you are actually applying. Also as already said, in open water, there is very little reaction force on the victim's knees. Mostly you are doing a combination of spinning the victim and pulling yourself around the back.

Mike

The move is similar to a "release" in lifeguarding. In an escape, the lifeguard breaks contact with the victim, usually submerging and pushing away, to distance himself or herself from a struggling active, or potentially panicked victim. In a release, the lifeguard seeks to remain in contact with the victim, but gain control by releasing an unwanted hold from the victim, usually by submerging, then gaining control of the victim by turning the victim into a position that will allow the lifeguard to surface and control the victim with an effective rescue hold such as an alternate cross chest carry.

Many lifeguard techniques have been adapted for use on scuba divers, both by lifeguard agencies and by scuba agencies.

Yep. My lifeguard training made Rescue much easier. Similar concepts, concerns and techniques.
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely the best class I've taken. As so many have said, slow down and think first. Don't get so focused on one idea you forget the overall picture. During the final session we were so focused on getting divers geared and in the water we overlooked the simple expident of sending out swimmers first. Hopefully you come away from the class knowing a lot more, and thinking about things you could have done differently/better. Red 5 had a great idea about working with classes annually or so to keep remembering the skills.

RD is arguably one of the most challenging courses you'll ever do. Lots of good advice already given: take heed.

That being said, the course is notable not only for teaching you what you CAN do but also what you CANNOT. It's a real eye-opener to find out that we're not invincible or able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Just be open to the WHOLE learning experience and you'll come out great.

Pax,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom