PADI Rescue - Swim tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rileymartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm taking the PADI Rescue Diver course and I was told there were swim tests (450M), with and without fins. Does it make a difference if split fins or regular paddle style fins are used? Thanks.

Sounds like a bit of confusion.

PADI does not require a swim or snorkeling test for the Rescue course, although you'll likely be doing a fair amount of both during your scenarios.

PADI does have swim and snorkeling tests, (and two other watermanship tests), for the DiveMaster course. They are not the same distance.

AFAIK that's not included in PADI standards. Whomever told you that is making it up.

I guess these guys want to add their own twist to the course. One of the instructors is a PADI instructor and the other is a NAUI instructor. The NAUI instructor seems to be the one running the course and adding the swim tests. I rather spend the time learning/practicing skills rather than swimming back and forth in a pool or at the beech but it seems really important to this person. I'm not sure whether to do the swim with split fins or blade fins. I read some other posts here and there didn't seem to be a clear cut choice... split fins or blade fins for the surface swim test? Thanks.

I'm taking the PADI Rescue Diver course and I was told there were swim tests (450M), with and without fins. Does it make a difference if split fins or regular paddle style fins are used? Thanks.

If they are adding a requirement that PADI does not have in standards,these instructors are breaking standards..What other standards are they breaking I do not know..If you like them and wish to put up with their possible big egos take their course.If you wish to complete a PADI rescue course that is up to standards find a different instructor.You wrote that the course is being team taught by a PADI instructor and a NAUI instructor.
A NAUI instructor cannot act as an assistant for the PADI instructor during a PADI course,unless he/she is also a PADI instructor..Must be a PADI DM or instructor.Again here are standads being broken by these 2..

I guess these guys want to add their own twist to the course. One of the instructors is a PADI instructor and the other is a NAUI instructor. The NAUI instructor seems to be the one running the course and adding the swim tests. I rather spend the time learning/practicing skills rather than swimming back and forth in a pool or at the beech but it seems really important to this person. I'm not sure whether to do the swim with split fins or blade fins. I read some other posts here and there didn't seem to be a clear cut choice... split fins or blade fins for the surface swim test? Thanks.
In conclusion: a NAUI instr. will conduct the course & a PADI instr. (which apparently will not interact with you for in water training) will issue the C-card :confused:.
I'd love to file a quality issue if you provide this PADI instr. number. :popcorn:
Now it's getting better: call me a stupid but what that any of that has to do with the fins!!!!!!!!:banghead:

I don't remember that there was any swim requirement for Rescue but there absolutely should be. Who would want a Rescue Diver or higher qualification who could not swim? A timed quarter mile swim with and without equipment would seem to be a minimum requirement.

Good diving, Craig

I don't remember that there was any swim requirement for Rescue but there absolutely should be. Who would want a Rescue Diver or higher qualification who could not swim? A timed quarter mile swim with and without equipment would seem to be a minimum requirement.

Good diving, Craig
Rescue is, as you may recall, a quite vigorous course, it includes diver tow (you're swimming for yourself AND the victim), scenarios that includes responding from shore as well as in-water distant, victim approach & water egress.... any explicit swim test would be redundant and thus irrelevant task-loading for students, which is not coherent with PADI training philosophy and standards, besides divers get tested for their watermanship prior to be accepted into OW courses; that's why it is not needed for each subsequent course (AOW, specialities, and rescue) to verify swimming skills; in my understanding you don't enrol in such classes unless you already have a reasonable amout of water comfort - you can't ask high school students & grads to rehearse the multiplication tables on each start of a semester - Instructors should grow into their students needs and/or aspirations.

to wrap it up; to the OP: find another instructor.

As said above, there isn't a separate swim test for PADI rescue diver but a LOT of surface swimming. Your question might still be valid for you, since some folks surface swim easier with specific fins. Since in rescue you are swimming facing the victim, it is a different surface swim for those of us who normally do surface swims on our backs.

I read someone said it was beneficial on a long surface swim test to use full foot fins and reduded their time. They thought it was due to less resistance and effort required to push the open heel fin and booty down on each downward stroke. I'm guessing a wetsuit would help too by making your more streamlined and the provided bouyancy lifting more of your mass out of the water. I'd like to hear from others that went through these swim tests to see if they took any of these factors into account and purposely chose one type of fin over the other and whether or not to swim with or without a wetsuit. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom