PADI Rescue - Swim tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreeing with everyone on the whole breaking standards issue, but in reference to your specific question, I have found that on surface swims split fins have worked better for me personallya nd for may of my students. If you are in warm water then use full foots, so much easier and lighter. If its not a stand alone swim test that they are making you do (?!) then go with what ever equipment you own so that you are more comfortable and familiar with it, plus realistic.

We had a PADI standards rescue class, but I have to tell you there is no way that somebody who couldn't swim could pass it.

We took ours in a quarry, and all of the scenarios and rescues were done on the training dock, which was over 150 feet from the shore line. We started on shore, swam out, down, did what needed to be done, brought them up and then swam all the way back to the entry point, dragged them up to the beach and started oxy/cpr/whatever the course required at least 10 times each buddy team... all the time the instructors were doing their darnedest to make our lives hard on us with things like victims waking up and panicking, only to collapse again and have to be dragged, victim's buddies suddenly going nuts and having to be restrained, etc.

I passed a swimming test those couple of days... just not an "official" one.

Man that was a fun class. Looking forward to the refresher next year.

I actually think the swims in rescue diver would be harder. Towing another diver and providing CPR while swimming are tough challenges.

PADI do not requires to swim in order to get certified for rescue diver. If you get the padi way from the beggining is a requisite to swim 200 yards and float 10 min in order to get certified as OPEN WATER DIVER.. also for DM.. not for rescue...

You need to clarify who is running the course and what cert you will receive. If it is a NAUI cert then the instructor is free to add whatever he/she feels will make you a better rescue diver. They are not the only agency that allows this. I do not see a problem with requiring the swim if it;s a NAUI instructor who is running the class. In this case PADI standards are irrelevant if the NAUI instructor is running the course. If they decide to issue a PADI cert be happy you got what sounds like a good rescue class. I'd also have to ask, since my material's are outdated, are these swims specifically prohibited?

I just compared my PADI rescue diver manual with my NAUI one. As far as student materials go I'd have to go with the NAUI one. Less fluff and ads, and it doesn't talk down to the student. It also reinforces basic skills as key to diver comfort such as buoyancy skills.

PADi standards do not prohibit adding a swim test! PADI standards state you can not remove or replace required skills for a given course.

If I have a new student for any cert level that I have never worked with, You had better believe I'm going to evaluate some skills I hope have already been masterd. But one can never know for sure unless....

My point exactly. And I am glad to see there is yet another instructor who does not take things for granted. My AOW class for example- If you cannot perform basic skills horizontal, in midwater, without changing depth by more than 2 feet you are not ready for the AOW class I offer. I will even require a couple pool sessions, maybe even OW dives just to verify your comfort level in the water before allowing one to take the class if I have any reservations from the pre class interview for it. There is a fair amount of task loading based on the presumption that the diver's basic skills are such that they can handle it.

My AOW class for example- If you cannot perform basic skills horizontal, in midwater, without changing depth by more than 2 feet...

Are you saying "+/- 1ft" (a 2ft window) or "+/- 2ft" ?

+/- 2ft.(4 ft window) by the end of class 1 ft +/-(2ft window) should not be out of the question. I have an OW student who is doing that now (the latter) and we still have 2 more pool sessions (7 & 8) to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom