Padi Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba J Esq

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be in Fl next month and wanted to get my Rescue Cert. I tried going through Parrot Island Scuba (as per suggestions on this board) but they directed me to Force-E Dive Center.

My local dive shop owner (in NJ) told me not to take the course and to do it with them, as their rescue course is much more in depth. He is not a salesman and at the price that he will give me will be a lot cheaper then getting in FL.

My goal for the Rescue Cert is that I want to be a safer diver and more importantly be able to help other divers in need. Plus I dive with my family a lot so I want to know that I can save them in the event that it is ever needed.

Any suggestions would be great. Does taking a Padi course over 3 days really help? I got my Advanced in DR and I don't think that I learned anything.

thanks in advance

J

Listen to your LDS owner. It is possbile to do rescue in 3 days maybe but you will do nothing else. My PADI rescue course took a couple weeks between classroom sessions, as I recall 3 pool sessions, and two weekends of diving and training at the lake. It was a good one. I personally feel that there is too much material to be covered effectively in 3 days and have you retain all of it. And that's the important part, retaining what you learn. I'm not surprised at your AOW remarks though. What did you feel was lacking in it? It;s a common complaint and why I had a couple travel from North Carolina and have another student coming from the Philadelphia area to take the one I offer. ( Not PADI and not an UW tour. It's 3 long days of classroom, diving, and skills)

I agree with Jim. For me, three days would have been too fast to retain/integrate the skills into my diving. My RD cert happened over about a month, between classroom, pool work, and open water scenarios and I think it was better for the extra time taken.

Learning crucial skills in local waters is always preferrable, especially when you local waters are more challenging.

do your rd course in the water you dive in the most. i always tell my classes that they are qualified to dive in conditions they were trained in. you cant expect a class in florida to cover water conditions in new jersey. I would rather see a lower certification with more ability than a high certification with low ability.

thanks for all the replies. A few things that I left out of my original post; the local course is just 4 days (1 class room, 1 pool and 2 days at Dutch Springs). The one w/ Force E in Fl will be 3 days and private (just myself and the instructor). I also NEVER dive in NJ (what's the point - ha). All my diving is in the Caribbeans and/or Fl.

Still on the fence, but with these new facts (really that my cert will be private) does that change your opinions.

thanks again

J

while a private class might be a great benefit for some people for OW, I think you're actually much better off with a small group for Rescue. More different types of gear, more variety of people to work with. A little more real, and probably more fun.

when i did my rescue class it was myself and one other diver...i thought it was better becuse we were able to get a lot more indepth with things

My Rescue Diver course was 2 days and they told me they can do it in 1 day.
I know that's bad, but that's PADI. But even the 2 day version was worth more than all the Advanced Course (Considering that you made the book before).

But if your guy isn't a sales guy+open minded, tell him to give you the book 2-3 weeks before and you learn the book alone and the three days are just for questions and practice+ maybe you can ask him for booking a day trip on which they extend the rescue.
(the scenarios are perfect for a regular dive trip....one diver panic one diver is lost you never know when.....

I am going to be in Fl next month and wanted to get my Rescue Cert. I tried going through Parrot Island Scuba (as per suggestions on this board) but they directed me to Force-E Dive Center.

My local dive shop owner (in NJ) told me not to take the course and to do it with them, as their rescue course is much more in depth. He is not a salesman and at the price that he will give me will be a lot cheaper then getting in FL.

My goal for the Rescue Cert is that I want to be a safer diver and more importantly be able to help other divers in need. Plus I dive with my family a lot so I want to know that I can save them in the event that it is ever needed.

Any suggestions would be great. Does taking a Padi course over 3 days really help? I got my Advanced in DR and I don't think that I learned anything.

thanks in advance

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom