PADI shop won't do referral dives for SSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pancakes74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Aloha! I just got off the phone with Maui Dreams Dive Co and was informed that they won't do referral dives for SSI. Whaaa?? From what our instructor told us (and from what I've researched online) this isn't accurate.. is it? I was told that as long as I have a signed referral form I wouldn't have any problems with a PADI shop doing my open water certification. This was definitely a concern as I know most shops in Maui are PADI and we have a trip scheduled next month. I have an email in to Ed Robinson's to see if they'll take us; looks like he has better prices anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

A PADI instructor can work with you. Instr would take you into pool , evaluate, do required 4 training dives, have you take PADI final written exam and then issue you certification card.

That is their perogative.

Your SSI Instuctor promised something that someone else does not have to deliver.

PADI is not a proponent of "universal" or "global" referrals.

Your Instructor should not have told you that.

If the PADI shop were to do it, you'd be writing the PADI final exam and then go through all the confined water skills before going to Open Water. You would then get a PADI certificate, not one from SSI.

Ha! oly5050user beat me too it.

Last edited:
A PADI instructor CAN do a universal referral, they'd sign off your papers so your SSI instructor can process you when you get back home.

Just because they can, that does not mean they have to.

Does the Universal Referral Program even still exist? Their website is gone, and the only copy of the form I find on-line is from 2001. Also, PADI instructors were supposed to register with URP before participating in the process. Hard to do with no website. If the program is still functional, I suspect it is only within their members - of which PADI was not one.

I think when you find a cooperating PADI dive operation, you'll end up with a PADI certification, not SSI. Should not matter though because both are almost universally accepted.

Thank you all for your quick replies. Ed Robinson's replied, they are going to do our referral dives. Very friendly and $50 cheaper than the other shops ($249.00). It doesn't matter to me if my certification is PADI or SSI, I just want to dive :)

According to SSI's site Maui Dive Shop is an SSI facility, with numerous locations on the island

801500.png
Maui Dive Shop
1455 So Kihei Rd
HI 96753 Kihei
United States
Phone: +1 (0) 800 - 542-3483
eMail: info@mauidiveshop.com

But he was talking about Maui Dreams, different shop.

logo_mauidreamsdiveco.png

According to SSI's site Maui Dive Shop is an SSI facility, with numerous locations on the island

801500.png
Maui Dive Shop
1455 So Kihei Rd
HI 96753 Kihei
United States
Phone: +1 (0) 800 - 542-3483
eMail: info@mauidiveshop.com

My point is the OP has an SSI referral, why not go to an SSI facility? Unless they want to spend an additional day, or two, of vacation time working through PADI confined water skills and taking a PADI final exam.
r

MDS only does referrals at two locations, the Kihei outlet store/main location or at Lahaina Gateway Mall. IDK if they do boat dives as part of it but if they do, their boat is in Ma'alea harbor north of Kihei. They mention needing transportation so my assumption would be they do. Maui Dive Shop Locations | Dive Shops on Maui | Maui Dive Stores | Surf Stores on Maui

If it matters they're $50 more than Robinson's at $299. I'm not sure but you might find the difference eaten up by having to buy PADI course materials also. I don't think they can accept an SSI training record according to PADI standards.

You were clear with them that you'd be showing up with a SSI referral - not PADI right? Their $249 price probably assumes the latter.

If you do the straight referral with MDS it will only take 2 afternoons - with all the PADI additions that might eat up more of your vacation time. Standards say they can't do all the dives in one day which is why they spread it out. If you do it with Robinsons with the added need to do the PADI test/test prep and pool work (although MDS should get you in the pool first also) it takes:
Open Water Referral $249.99
Open Water Referral takes two days to complete Open Water 1-2 and Open Water 3-4.

Robinson's is certainly a good choice if you decide to go that route. I often recommend them here. Good operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom