What is Science of Diving for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leegrr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Why does SSI have a Science of Diving Course and Padi doesn't? Does SSI just split the Divemaster course into 2 "modules"?

Online it also states that Science of Diving is required for some Extended Range programmes but I cannot find any programme where it is a requirement.

the idea is to provide more in depth knowledge. it is def required to become an ssi pro. you would have to check the latest ssi standards and look at each XR course to see the requirements of each course and whether SOD is a requirements for any of them.

So are you saying that padi dms are not required to have this knowledge but ssi dms are? Seems like quite a critical difference in knowledge.

I did go through the standards and didn't see any. That's why I'm asking since the ssi website says that it's required for some xr programmes. Unless I missed something.

PADI call this "Dive Theory" - I've not done the SSI Science of Diving but I'm sure both cover similar topics.

PADI Dive Theory: About the Course

Dive Theory will dramatically expand your understanding of dive physics, physiology, equipment, decompression theory and dive planning.

SSI science of diving

Expand your knowledge with this in depth and detailed study of physics, physiology, decompression theory, the aquatic environment and diving equipment.

Why does SSI have a Science of Diving Course and Padi doesn't? Does SSI just split the Divemaster course into 2 "modules"?

Online it also states that Science of Diving is required for some Extended Range programmes but I cannot find any programme where it is a requirement.
Hello! I'm an SSI OWSI and I have some info on this. There are a few paths, but SSI Divemaster courses often include the Science of Diving (SoD) course since the "requirement" for SoD is usually only related to going pro. There are also the pre-requisites that are required on top of that, such as Stress and Rescue, React Right, and having the 40 logged dives. You'll also need Deep, Navigation, and Night specialty ratings. But, again, you can complete those three specialties during the course as long as you have the basic course pre-requisites.

If you're taking a DM course that is bundled, make sure your pricing reflects the courses you need and that you're going to take. Reputable places will adjust accordingly if you come to them with some or all of the needed courses completed. For instance, I had them all done, so I took SoD and then just had to take the Dive Guide course to certify as a DM. I also was able to demonstrate proficiency in Deep, Navigation and Night without taking the courses because I had been diving for 20 years before I turned pro. PADI has a dive theory class......I don't know of any SSI XR course that requires SoD. I looked in the SSI XR Standard Manual and did a keyword search for the SoD class and got no results....

I did that SSI Sci. of Diving online course during the pandemic when it was offered free. I found that I could answer most of the questions on the tests from my PADI DM course knowledge. However, I did DM back in 2010 before they removed some of the "math problems", so I don't know what's in the course now.

I did that SSI Sci. of Diving online course during the pandemic when it was offered free. I found that I could answer most of the questions on the tests from my PADI DM course knowledge. However, I did DM back in 2010 before they removed some of the "math problems", so I don't know what's in the course now.
I also took it for free during the pandemic (thank you Salty Endeavors aka Cozumel Scuba Diving ❤️ Best Dive Shop Cozumel Mexico ) and was also able to answer nearly all of the questions based on my existing knowledge.

It was definitely worth what I paid for it, but I'd give it a pass at the standard price unless you need it for some other reason such as a course prerequisite.

I also took it for free during the pandemic (thank you Salty Endeavors aka Cozumel Scuba Diving ❤️ Best Dive Shop Cozumel Mexico ) and was also able to answer nearly all of the questions based on my existing knowledge.

It was definitely worth what I paid for it, but I'd give it a pass at the standard price unless you need it for some other reason such as a course prerequisite.
Agree. I've always said that like a college degree, much of that knowledge is quite interesting, but not necessary for safety doing basic diving (ie. no tech., wreck penetration, etc.).

Thanks guys! Replies were helpful.

Back
Top Bottom