PADI shop won't do referral dives for SSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The instructors at Ed Robinsons are excellent, so you won't go wrong with them. Try to book a boat dive after you get certified, you'll be well taken care of on Ed's boat as well. When are you going to Maui?

That's great to hear. Robyn helped us book our certification days and we are going to Molokini a couple of days later. Our trip is Apr 17 to 27.. Been to Maui a dozen times but this will be our first official dive trip :)

So glad to hear you booked a boat dive. When the crew asks you if you have any preferences for dive sites, suggest Red Hill for your second dive. It is by far my favorite dive site in Maui and has never disappointed me. We've regularly seen Frog Fish, nudibranchs, turtles, Dragon Moray Eels, Green Hawaiian Lionfish, Leaf Scorpionfish, Mantis Shrimp, Snowflake Eels... and occasionally Harlequin Shrimp, Flame Angelfish, Manta Rays, Hawaiian Sting Rays, Spotted Eagle Rays, sharks... and the list goes on!

It's a site I always request (as the crew knows too well) and one I could literally dive daily and not get tired of. It's also a shallow dive (max depth of about 40', but mostly shallower), which gives you more bottom time to find all of the cool creatures.

Thanks for the info diversteve. Yes, I was clear with Robinsons that we are coming with an SSI referral. Out of curiosity, what are the additional/different skills for the PADI vs SSI test?

I don't know since I'm SSI. I've read about crossover referrals before and most mention some slight additional training a PADI instructor might make you do. I think there's also some instructor discretion.

My buddy showed up to with an SSI referral on Bonaire once, did the same exact class/dives as 2 PADI referrals at the same resort and was able to get SSI credit back home. I know for a fact it was a PADI instructor as I watched her sign it and he'd been in communication with the shop since they were on-site at our resort so convenient.

Maybe e-mail someone at Maui Dive Shop and ask as they may have dual-certified instructors. Although I'd still go with Robinsons since they're an excellent operator at a great price. They're one of 3 I recommend regularly for Kihei boat diving.

Last edited:
Aloha! I just got off the phone with Maui Dreams Dive Co and was informed that they won't do referral dives for SSI. Whaaa?? From what our instructor told us (and from what I've researched online) this isn't accurate.. is it? I was told that as long as I have a signed referral form I wouldn't have any problems with a PADI shop doing my open water certification. This was definitely a concern as I know most shops in Maui are PADI and we have a trip scheduled next month. I have an email in to Ed Robinson's to see if they'll take us; looks like he has better prices anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

PADI and SSI have "cross over" agreements that equate one certification level to an equivalent level in the other system. This does not cover crossing over in the middle of a course. Look for an SSI shop.

R..

Aloha! I just got off the phone with Maui Dreams Dive Co and was informed that they won't do referral dives for SSI. Whaaa?? From what our instructor told us (and from what I've researched online) this isn't accurate.. is it? I was told that as long as I have a signed referral form I wouldn't have any problems with a PADI shop doing my open water certification. This was definitely a concern as I know most shops in Maui are PADI and we have a trip scheduled next month. I have an email in to Ed Robinson's to see if they'll take us; looks like he has better prices anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

The SSI OW course does not include certain skills (CESA, etc) that are mandatory by PADI - the PADI shop would have to run you through a number of pool skills before going OW - at that point they might feel better off running you through the full course again.

A Padi instructor himself or herself must carry Universal referral instructor credentials in order to do the four open water training dives however they can not issue the certification card any padi instructor can get this rating, most use IDEA to achieve this. However padi prefers to evaluate and certify them themselves.

I have spoken with Ed Robinson's and my dive instructor. I will be certified through SSI. Our final pool session is Friday then we'll do our written exams and have our referral paperwork completed to take on our trip. Once our open water dives are completed we'll get temporary 2 week certification and final paperwork will be sent to our original instructor for cards. Can't wait.. we just purchased Aqua Lung BC's and regulators so we'll get to do everything with a complete set of our own gear :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom