PADI Specialties/Divemaster worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess this is all just some personal wrestling with should I do DM vs. MSD as the cost will be pretty similar for 5 specialties vs. DM.

Look at it this way. The MSD (card, not cert) is only given after you take 5 specialty classes FROM THE AGENCY. If the card had any real value, it should acknowledge training from any agency. Since you are forced to pay for training from one agency to get it, it just feels like a money grab.

If you want to go to a higher level, go the DM route. At least you will get a useable certification from it.

I've just finished my rescue diver course and i certainly want to bring people into scuba diving. I had my first religious experience underwater in seeing coral reefs and thinking only a higher power makes scenes like that.

are dive masters in high demand? do DMs get compensated while on internship? what is the pay after internship?

I already know that the ability to help new divers is rewarding enough, i just want to look at it from a fiscal point of view and know that it'll make sense

thanks for advice and suggestions

I know I will never be a full time divemaster/instructor. I could not afford the cut in pay. I'm also not sure I want to be responsible for students. Having said that, I still decided to become a divemaster.

Divemaster is a useful course and one I recommend. I took the class primarily for personal diving improvement. Yes, I could have read the encyclopedia and other materials on my own, but having a course director providing additional insight made the class all the better. Learning the basic 20 skills to demonstration quality surprisingly improved my general diving skills.

My course director defines DM as learning the skills of diving. AI as learning to teach those skills and OWSI teaches how to teach the materials of the various courses.

Regarding the specialty courses, I have taken EAN (Nitrox) only. I am not sure the others are worthwhile. I don't want to say they are useless, but rather, I don't know if they require taking classes to learn them.

Does a PADI divemaster have to be affiliated with a dive shop?

I'd prefer not to honestly. Not that I do not like the dive shop I frequent most, I do like them quite a bit, I just live too far away to really be active with any one dive shop.

If I did do Divemaster it would primarily be for my own benefit.

Heavyjeffd - No you do not need to be affiliated. You can be independent, so you could work for youself if you want all the legal hassle, or you can freelance, go work for one shop one day and move somewhere else the next OR

DO the course if you really want to learn it, pay your on year fee, the just keep your card. You will still be a DM in knowledge but for those that dont want to teach you can just carry on diving. We (PADI Pros) know that to have a DM card, even expired, means you have to have done, OW, AOW, EFR, Rescue.

Also check the prices for the specialties. Some shops do very good prices, where the extra stuff you learn is very little compared to the cost of the dives themselves. Here for the deep it was the cost of 4 normal dives, plus the materials (about 40USD in books) plus another $50USD. So if you are going on a holiday and going to be doing a bunch of dives, find out how much extra to make them count towards something.

If you did hook up with your local dive shop maybe you could trade working hours with them for specialty instructor to teach you some specialties?

As a sidenote, i cant really tell from your posts if you want to do this so you can help in an official capacity or just want to expand your knowledge. You dont have to be a DM or Inst in order to be able to help other divers. When i did my Instructor Development Course, i was able to help most of the people in my class simply because i had trained with another agency and done different things, different techniques and able to offer alternative solutions to problems. Maybe instead of looking up the PADI ladder, look across to other diving types, maybe even into technical.

To quote the email I just received when I set up auto renewal:

"The Divemaster and Assistant Instructor Auto Renewal fee is for 2010 is $94.50 US."

It also stated:

"Thank you for participating in Auto Renewal. When you renew your PADI Membership for 2010, you'll get a free 2010 Instructor Manual, Digital Version – a $96 US value!"

$100 annually is trivial really, are there any other fees? I always hear people talking about insurance (I don't believe they mean DAN, which I already carry).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom