PADI Specialties/Divemaster worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heavyjeffd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure this topic is a well-beaten dead horse, so apologies in advance to whomever this resurrection upsets. :)

I have been debating going for Divemaster eventually. I am in no hurry to do so. I would just like to dive a lot more in more environments before I go down that path. I have no doubt in my abilities to handle stressful situations or instruct people. I taught for years and have been a leader in my various fields of work for the better part of two decades. However, my common sense tells me that while now is not the right time, I could always focus and prepare to do so in the future.

I'm not sure why exactly I want to do Divemaster. I would never do it full time (it would be about a 85% pay cut probably, lol :D) nor am I really interested in instructing. I guess I just like the personal challenge and enjoy helping people that are excited about learning new things the proper way.

Maybe that isn't the right reason...

However, I do plan on doing Rescue/EFR regardless. The MSD title would be nice just to have, but it does appear to be more marketing than substance..

But this leads me to my next set of quandaries...

PADI Specialties.

While I do think Nitrox is always worth it and should eventually be done by all serious/active divers, the rest kind of make me scratch my head.

While I think Deep Diver, Navigation, Peak Performance Buoyancy, Night, etc. are all great skills to have and be comfortable with, part of me thinks you really don't need to pay $200 to do so and that they can all be safely done with a more experienced buddy and/or group. Is this the wrong outlook?

I mean, I enjoy the classes and always have fun diving with new people and whatnot, it just seems like more marketing than substance (sorry to say that twice), maybe it's just geared towards newer divers? Maybe I am just interpreting it totally wrong? I don't know... (hence why I am asking what you guys think)

Granted, I am one of those "new again" to diving people. I dove in the early 90's, had everything stolen from me and just never got back around to it until recently.

So, to recap I suppose, is Divemaster worthwhile for someone in my position (personal challenge/accomplishment, etc) or should I just go through Rescue Diver/EFR and call it a day?

Or do you guys think it is worthwhile to do five specialties and just go all the way to MSD?

Thanks in advance for putting up with such a rehashed topic. :)

tip toes out on thin ice

I agree. With most of the specialties you've raised, you'll learn just as much, if not more, with a good buddy/mentor. The 'deep' might be worth it for the extra theory.

Divemaster will force you to 'know' the information, rather than just getting by. It's my next target.

Disclaimer: My last class was AOW back in 1995

Mike

I just started as a DM intern a few weeks ago. so far it's the most rewarding thing I've done in scuba. Lots of physical and mental challenges. You learn and can give back at the same time.

Take a look at what NAUI has to offer in your area. A NAUI Master Diver rating requires far more training than a PADI Master Diver/Card Collector aknowledgement does.

I also did the Divemaster course to basically challange myself, now I pay PADI yearly to keep the rating, and the only time I use the rating is the assist with Scientific Diver courses that really fall under the AAUS organization and not a recreational diver training agency (i.e. PADI, NAUI, SDI, etc...)

If you really want some good training, look for an ANDI instructor in your area. The ANDI classes include Nitrox training from the start of Basic Open Water Diver that certifies you to use Nitrox 32 and Nitrox 36. Their Nitrox course is teh next step and it certifies you to use any mix from 22% O2 up to 50% O2.

And it is ok to mix and match agencies until you hit the dive professional level at Divemaster/Dive Con/Assistant Instructor.

It also depends on what is contained in the class. If you get an instructor who goes above and beyond the course standards deep and nav can be great courses. The others you mentioned should really be covered sufficiently in ow and aow. Also if you are looking to increase your knowledge and skills don't limit yourself to any one agency. Look around, ask questions, and interview instructors. You'll be surprised at what there is available to you.

Well if I had to choose my five specialties they would include nitrox, drysuit, emergency oxygen provider,night diver and deep water diver. The majority of the rest seem to be a trial and error course. As far as Master Diver some call it a card collector but hey these days there are those who beleive owning a drivers license is a card collector. In my experiences in law enforcement they are becoming rare (D.L.s) So if you want the Master Diver rating go for it. It really does not matter what others opinions are only what yours is :)

As I have stated many times before too. I dont argue that a lot can be learned from a dive master course its just to me a waste of money since I am a recreational diver not one who is a professional diver.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, I really do appreciate the input.

Red_5: I have the same feeling about it, I'm just not sure if the whole task will be worth it to me. I guess I just need to work that out on my own. :)

muddiver: The cross-agencies thing is a very good idea, I really do need to look into that more. Although the choices around here are pretty limited in land-locked Texas.

JimLap: I agree about the specialties, most of it was covered when I did AOW. I do plan on doing Nitrox for obvious reasons, the rest I think I may just do via mentoring/buddy dives. Not sure yet...

k_ellis: I guess that basically sums up my dilemma too. It's like, do I really need to *pay* for those specialties just to have the MSD card? Or would I be better served just going down the DM path (it's pretty close in price surprisingly)? Although I will always be recreational, well I say that now... but who knows. :)

Im not sure about the price so it may be close. I never took Dive master and have not made plans yet to do it. Since I never have time to "teach" or assist teaching scuba I just dont see the need to pay for the course then have to purchase the insurance and everything else that goes with it.

I know my instructor wants me to go the divemaster route but I just dont see the need. I got the master diver card for the personal satisfaction and knowing that I did in fact earn the card means alot also.

Just to let you know though be leary of the card bashers on here if you do decide to go that route and remember its not what every one else thinks that matters its what you think :)

Oh, I'm not worried about card bashers, trust me. :)

It's just a matter of investment vs. return I guess. :)

Thanks though. :D

It also depends on what is contained in the class. If you get an instructor who goes above and beyond the course standards deep and nav can be great courses. The others you mentioned should really be covered sufficiently in ow and aow. Also if you are looking to increase your knowledge and skills don't limit yourself to any one agency. Look around, ask questions, and interview instructors. You'll be surprised at what there is available to you.

Jim has hit the nail on the head.

Not all courses are created or taught equally.

Firstly...lets consider the 'basic skills'. I agree, the OW and AOW courses should provide a student with good buoyancy, weighting, trim etc. However, some people want some reinforcement in those areas.

Also...I can honestly state that after 16 years of diving, I can still find room for improvements in my basic core skills. I never stop seeking perfection in my bouyancy control. If I can hover horizontal and motionless for 20 minutes without deviating more than 30cm.... then I want to improve that to no deviation more than 15cm. etc etc. My back kick still needs work. I still sometimes accidentally raise silt in heavily congested wrecks....

So.... with a mind-set for perfection....and access to a suitable skilled and motivated instructor....even something as 'basic' as a PPB course can offer an incredible benefit.

Where specific instructors have specialized knowledge and personal interest in particular dive activities... you will also find huge potential benefits from what you can get out of a speciality course.

Some instructors do underwater photography at a professional level.... imagine what you can get out of training with them....

Other instructors have backgrounds in technical diving... it would be fair to expect that they will run courses like Deep and Wreck in a manner that provides huge 'added value'.

People often dismiss classes like 'Fish ID' and 'Coral Reef Conservation' as valueless.... but another friend of mine is a qualified Marine Biologist...with a passion for these topics. He's forgotten more on that subject than most dive instructors will ever learn. Huge value for money and benefit for the student diver.

A friend of mine (instructor) was also a Dive Medic Technician. Even as an experienced EFR instructor, I used to love sitting in on his classes. I always learnt something new and valuable.

So.... if you only look at the minimum criteria for some of these courses...and you don't choose the right instructor...then yes you could probably make the same skill and knowledge advances on your own...through gaining experience and independant research.

But... with the right instructor...you can learn far more than you would ever be able to teach yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom